Best Alternatives to Waves Plugins --- Mac OS X and PT 9

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Best Alternatives to Waves Plugins --- Mac OS X and PT 9

Post by kslight » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 am

Well I just got a new Mac setup to replace my PC desktop for audio, looking to get some new plugins along with the PT9 installation. What are the best bang for buck native plugin sets out there for mixing and mastering? I generally have used Waves and T-Racks so I am familiar with those and they've "done the job" for me, but what else is out there that's worth the money? I'd like to spend under $2k. I don't really need lots of crazy modulation effects, just looking for good channel strip, de-esser, buss compressor, reverb, echo, and multiband compression.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:31 am

I still have and use the Nomad Factory stuff.

My favorites are the Vintage ones, which are a light brond color. Excellent plug ins.

Their time based effects are good too.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Massey plug ins are great.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

If I could just have one software compressor it would be the elysia mpressor. Other comps do certain things better, but the mpressor does everything pretty well and certain things amazingly.

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:34 pm

stillwell
wavearts
PSP
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:34 am

The full line 6 plug packge is a group of very nice effects plugs, but I have no clue if it will work in PT.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Stillwell as well.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:13 am

A few people recommended Stillwell, but maybe didn't notice that the OP said Pro Tools. Stillwell is VST/AU only, no RTAS. Yes, I know there are wrappers.

If I had a $2K budget, first thing I'd buy would be all of the Massey plugins. I use every one of them constantly. Best money I've ever spent on plugins. In fact, if I had nothing but Massey and the plugins included with PT9, I'd be pretty happy.

For modulation and delay effects (and Decapitator!), I'd be all over Soundtoys. Amazing cool stuff in there.

Massey and Soundtoys would only set you back about $1,000. With what was left over, I'd get Waves SSL 4000 bundle. I know you were asking about alternatives to Waves, but I rely on the SSL channel strip.

Those choices are within the $2K budget. If I had more money, I'd also be considering McDSP Emerald Pack and the Sonnox Elite bundle. I use bits of those on every mix I do.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks to the above post I didn't want to seem unappreciative of the advice but I did expect to spend a chunk of money so I don't necessarily need free/super low cost stuff, though obviously I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I'd rather have a dozen or so good plugins that I use on every session than 100 cheesy ones that I have to chain together to get what I want.

Another option what would be the verdict on UAD? Almost all sessions I do are 24/96 and I use Reason and BFD, and my sessions with native plugins push my older PC to the limits, though my Mac Pro is considerably faster I imagine that my sessions still will tax the computer somewhat. I haven't yet done my crossgrade to install PT9 and such on my new system as I've been wanting to finish up last minute album stuff on my PC first.

Yes I've used the Waves SSL and it does a decent job, though UAD just got released SSL plugins which I've heard are better?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:30 am

oh my bad, I thought PT had caught up with the rest of the world. Still no AU or VST on PT without a wrapper hunh?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Re: Best Alternatives to Waves Plugins --- Mac OS X and PT 9

Post by kittonian » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 am

kslight wrote:Well I just got a new Mac setup to replace my PC desktop for audio, looking to get some new plugins along with the PT9 installation. What are the best bang for buck native plugin sets out there for mixing and mastering? I generally have used Waves and T-Racks so I am familiar with those and they've "done the job" for me, but what else is out there that's worth the money? I'd like to spend under $2k. I don't really need lots of crazy modulation effects, just looking for good channel strip, de-esser, buss compressor, reverb, echo, and multiband compression.
For what you are describing there is no better bundle (both price-wise and sound-wise) than the McDSP Emerald Pack. Channel G alone is worth the price of admission but it's got so much more included that it will take care of everything you asked about.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm not sure if it works with newer Pro Tools stuff because I am using PT 6.4 TDM, but if you want something like the Waves SSL plug but not deal with Waves, get Metric Halo ChannelStrip. It's is really awesome. Some of the best gating and EQ plug ins I have heard. They are just really smooth. The compressor on it sounds cool too. It's pricey but it is a really good.

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Brett Siler wrote:I'm not sure if it works with newer Pro Tools stuff because I am using PT 6.4 TDM, but if you want something like the Waves SSL plug but not deal with Waves, get Metric Halo ChannelStrip. It's is really awesome. Some of the best gating and EQ plug ins I have heard. They are just really smooth. The compressor on it sounds cool too. It's pricey but it is a really good.
Agreed, MH's Channelstrip may not have a VU meter or fancy looking knobs but really is a great plugin, very flexible and veryvery good sounding.
Did I say that it's superflexible?
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:18 pm

I hardly use anything but uad plug ins.

jordan s
audio school graduate

Post by jordan s » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:50 am

A lot of people seem to like Softube. I have the FET compressor plugin and it's pretty nice.