Has anyone used Reaper as their DAW

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:08 pm

top_ape wrote:Does any of that sound plausible? I have to say that 99% of it seems ridiculous but there's a small part of me left wondering. After all, the guy did invent Winamp right?
Not in the slightest. That's just the whining noise that old, obsolete models make when they get pushed out from the stage. Giving out your product for free (as a fully functional "demo") definitely does not encourage piracy. In fact I'd claim that the users who pick up Reaper are more likely to stop pirating the software from other vendors, as they have a "free", fully functional alternative.

To put it the other way: It is an effective marketing / business strategy. If Reaper becomes hugely popular, I'm sure it will hurt the business of the other companies. That might force them to change their pricing and maybe even innovate a bit with their products to stay competitive. As has been demonstrated by many American major corporations before, they'll try to prevent this from happening, usually by any means possible. In other sectors someone would have tried to buy Cockos to prevent them from selling a competitive product but there's not that much money in DAWs so...

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 am

I saw the R***** reference on the Motunation Forum and it kind of disgusted me. That forum seems a bit eliteist. I see Reaper mentioned and discussed freely on the Samplitude Forum...completely different airs between the two forums. I thought I was going to enjoy Digital Performer on the Apple platform, but I am reconsidering. I use Reaper on both Mac OS & Win OS for band tracking. Samplitude has an efficient workflow for CD creation and excellent "stock plug-ins". Reaper is fun to learn and has a dynamic community (power users to fanbois)...

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:50 pm

I've got it off the net, but never got round to testing it, but I finally just had enough upgrading through the nose, and bought a license, got the latest version and paid for a video trainer, I'll switch when I'm competent with it...

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Reaper 4 has been very stable for me.
I just want to say that i highly approve of reaper's business model and their plan to take over the world.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:19 pm

blungo2 wrote:Reaper 4 has been very stable for me.
I just want to say that i highly approve of reaper's business model and their plan to take over the world.
+1!

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:41 pm

crow wrote:
blungo2 wrote:Reaper 4 has been very stable for me.
+1!

Go Reaper!

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Man, I loved me some Wacky Racers back in the day!

Bardo
audio school

Post by Bardo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm

"holy resurrection Batman!"

Fanboy attack!
Signature
POD PRO XT,Roland TD-20 E-kit,Fender Telecaster,Rickenbacher,Framis 12-String,Ibanaz Bass,CAD GXL3000 Pro Studio Mic,E-Bow and my "ol' best friend "REAPER"Since 2006
My songs here...[url]
http://www.mixposure.com/bardo/