Headphone Reccomendations for Mixing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Headphone Reccomendations for Mixing

Post by plurgid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:51 am

Everyone ... I was reading this thread http://bit.ly/i42uBW
which is serendipitous, because my beloved Sennheiser HD 580s have finally took what I believe may be their final crapout.

I love the hell out of these headphones and I've been using them every day for something like 7 years now I think. Last year one of my kids managed to break the fork that holds the left side onto the headband, but I managed to get it back on first with superglue (which failed), then with a strategically placed rubber band. But now the cord is going too and the right channel is consistently dead ... and the rubber band always pulls my hair out.

I see you can buy replacement parts from Sennheiser (but not a replacement fork, I checked for that).

My well-meaning wife bought me some cheapie "superlux" headphones from the local music store for Christmas ... and I don't have the heart to tell her that they suck donkey nutz ... it's like jamming razor sharp pencils right into my ear drums.

But that's sort of a different issue.

It's time for me to get some new 'phones and it looks like the 580's are discontinued!

Though it's roundly discouraged ... I often mix with headphones because I like to work at night and I've got kids and not a lot of soundproofing.

So yes, i shouldn't be mixin' on headphones, but I got no other choice a lot of the time ... so at long last, gentlemen (and ladies) ... i ask you ... what's some good headphones to get?

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 am

as far as sennheisers go, i'd recommend the 840's. personally, i'm a big fan of the beyerdynamic dt770's.
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 am

your best bet would be to find a shop where you can listen to some of your favorite music on several pairs and pick the pair that you like best. my philosophy on headphones is similar to my philosophy on monitors: it's not as important what you get as it is how much time you spend getting to know them.

that said, my personal preference:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=270553

lefthanddoes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefthanddoes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 pm

I've had the HD650s for about 4 years and your post sounds like me in 3 years. Mine aren't broken at all, though. They're incredible. It seems like they could be the updated version of the 580s.

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I really like my ex-29's. I like that I don't have to have them very loud to be clear, and i'm still getting used to being able to hear what the hell the guys from pinback are saying.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:34 pm

I use sennheiser hd600s and they are great - I think the hd650s are very similar with a slightly different feel.

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Alessandro MS1's. they're open back so they can be a bit loud if someone is in the same room with you... but as far a sound goes, they're incredible. and they are only $100.

full disclosure... I work for them. but i would never recommend them if i didn't love the shit out of them.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm

I have a love/hate thing with sennheisers, they're comfortable and sound great, and maybe it's just me, but i've had tons of reliability problems with them.

OTOH my akg k701 sounds fucking amazing is comfortable for my big flappy ears and has been rock solid reliable. When i get rich i'm buying more akg headphones...

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:03 pm

HeavyHand wrote:Alessandro MS1's. they're open back so they can be a bit loud if someone is in the same room with you... but as far a sound goes, they're incredible. and they are only $100.

full disclosure... I work for them. but i would never recommend them if i didn't love the shit out of them.
This is why I love tape-op, man :-)
I'd have *never* found these on my own ... from a cursory googlin', they're nearly universally lauded as fantastic.

I'm seriously leaning towards these. Can anyone describe how they compare to the HD580's?

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:04 pm

blungo2 wrote:I have a love/hate thing with sennheisers, they're comfortable and sound great, and maybe it's just me, but i've had tons of reliability problems with them.
LOL ... word.

verbcrunch
audio school

Post by verbcrunch » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 pm

You can mix with Ultrasone ProLine 750's. I trust them implicitly

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:14 pm

AKG K240 headphones

Lots of clarity to them. I've mixed songs on them late at night and the mixes sounded great the next day on my monitors. They are open back, so if isolation is a big issue, then don't get them.

DaveWalwark
audio school

headphones

Post by DaveWalwark » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

My personal preference for mixing is the Sony MDR 7506s OR V6s OR V-600s... they all seem to be the same thing. Totally affordable, comfortable enough for closed cans and mixes turn out warm. I have used the Ultrasone 750s.... they are comparable to the Sonys in a good way. I have some DT770 Pros in 80 ohm and they seem to lack the sparkle of the 250 ohm version, as well as being a bit darker than the sonys and the ultrasone (anyone corroborate this?). The 250ohm DT770 is a pretty awesome set.

Some headphones I would not recommend for mixing include:
Directsound ex-29s
Sennheiser 280s
they're fun for tracking but yikes on the bass response ruining your mixes.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 am

Audio Technica ATH-M50 gets my vote.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Guten tag,

Beyerdynamic,

To me they present the mix, translate beautifully, and actually sound good listening to music.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****