RTAS - EQ Plug-In Advice - PT LE

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

RTAS - EQ Plug-In Advice - PT LE

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Recently I've been mixing alot more, and I'm finding my EQ selection to be lacking. I've love to get a Neve console or something fantastic, but until the money is flowing in....that's not a option. I'd love to get a few rack eq's but I don't have the budget for that either.

So...I've been making due with the Standard LE plugs, plus a few extras I got for cheap. THe T-Racks Pultec EQ is not bad for vocals and decent on random things that need a little mid or high boost/cut. The other T-Racks EQ is decent but super surgical. Also, I have the Massey EQ demo....which is cool, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I've seen the new Soft Tube A Range Trident console channel strip plug, and that's definately the type of plug I'm looking for, and I'm looking for some other options, preferably cheap...or even free.

Requirements:
-High & Low pass filter, variable is good, but not a must.
-Parametric eq, with sweepable bands, an adjustable Q is a plus.
-Sounds musical
-Low DSP usage. I'd like to have one on several channels.

Any ideas?

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 pm

not free:
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/equalizers/psp_mcq/
but i do love that mcQ eq.....70hz boost is SWEET!
Stilwelll's EQ's are nice too....
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:26 pm

I know some hate Waves, but I bought the Waves Musicians II bundle about a year ago. I thought I got a deal for $150. They just dropped the prices and Sweetwater has it for $120 now. :shock:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Musician2Nat/

The Ren EQ is very nice and very cpu friendly. Ren Comp is also useful. I use Rvox a LOT on vocals. Its a super easy compressor but also has a little bit of grit or harmonics that I really like on the vocal tracks. The others are pretty good but less used by me -- although super tap is a decent delay.

I went years w/o an iLok but finally broke down and got one when I bought the SSL 4000 bundle (which is also now priced lower than what I paid!) and I have honestly had zero issues with it or Waves. The only issue I had was with a Digi plugin (MC77) that I bought cheap through eBay and I eventually got that resolved by Avid support (although it took some time).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that to me, the M2 bundle is worth every cent of the $120 (wish I had paid that little).

Mike
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 pm

If I could only have one EQ... Sonnox Oxford EQ. Four different Q curves. Low and high filters with adjustable slope, plus 5 fully parametric bands with shelf option on low and high. A/B switch to easily audition changes and decide which one sounds better. Drawbacks: I know you asked for cheap, and it ain't that, plus it requires an iLok.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Phoenix : "How much does it take to make a record?"
Diddy : "How much you got?"
Phoenix : "mumbo jumbo about artistic vision, etc...nonsense..."
Diddy : "So, How much you got?"
Phoenix : "mumbo jumbo about artistic vision, etc...nonsense..."
Diddy : Stares at Phoenix...

So... ottobot... how much you got?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:I know some hate Waves, but I bought the Waves Musicians II bundle about a year ago. I thought I got a deal for $175. They just dropped the prices and Sweetwater has it for $120 now. :shock:
I 2nd that. Weirdly enough their Renaissance stuff is their best sounding plug ins IMO. Among their EQ's and Comps that is....

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:19 am

I love Waves Plug ins.

Does that make me a pariah?

Not...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, eager to try out some new stuff. Th PSP sQuad bundle looks pretty great for $250. I'll look into the affordable waves stuff too.

Got the free SPL Free ranger, which is pretty decent for being a fixed band eq....too bad some of the frequencies aren't accessable on the free version.

Just found out that there is an educational discount for PT 9, so the crossgrade is half price! Nice!

For other students, staff, faculty...take a look!
http://www.journeyed.com/product/search ... ro+tools+9

Plus they have the iLok 2 for the same price as the iLok site, and I'm pretty sure it's free shipping.
http://www.journeyed.com/item/Avid/iLok/1484637

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:31 pm

you could also just buy a wrapper and check out the wealth of free stuff, like so:
http://sonimus.com/site/page/downloads/

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm

I really like the URS Classic Console EQ Bundle. Fits all your criteria. They've got a special going for $189.99 right now.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:40 pm

palinilap wrote:I really like the URS Classic Console EQ Bundle. Fits all your criteria. They've got a special going for $189.99 right now.
Cool, thanks for the heads up...I forgot about the URS stuff. Used a few of their comps at a studio I interned and and thought they did the job quite well.

eeldip wrote:you could also just buy a wrapper and check out the wealth of free stuff, like so:
http://sonimus.com/site/page/downloads/
Very true....thought of doing that many times...but haven't as of yet. That is only $100....so definately affordable.

The Soundman Furry
audio school

Re: RTAS - EQ Plug-In Advice - PT LE

Post by The Soundman Furry » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:11 pm

I've been loving the Eiosis Air EQ for a while now. It sounds great, is easy on the cpu and I've grown to love the fact that it doesn't have a graphic display of the frequencies. It really forces you to use your ears when making decisions.

clintsteele
pluggin' in mics

Post by clintsteele » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 pm

My favorite EQ plugs recently would be the waves API collection and the Abbey road EMI TG mastering pack EQ bundle. Ive got the URS bundle as well, and IMO the EMI and API stuff is superior both sonically and visually.

alot of good suggestions here..

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:51 am

there's a couple of freebies from brainworx

http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugin ... uk9erit620

a dual variable filter and a m/s gadget.

and, while not free, ever since i got the waves V-eq4 it's been the first thing i try for every eq need and usually loving it. it's got filters and some variable bands. anything you can't do with one instance of this you can do with two of them stacked!

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=372&l=4
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do