First attempt at Glynn Johns - Question re: overheads

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Relyet
alignin' 24-trk

First attempt at Glynn Johns - Question re: overheads

Post by Relyet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Hello,

Just curious about your opinions. About to record a full kit for the first time. I like all the classic drum sounds, esp. Bonham and later Ringo.

I currently have one mxl R144 ribbon and one mxl cube condenser.

My question is should I go ahead and get one more R144 or one more cube to use as the second overhead (and why)? I am currently leaning toward getting another ribbon, but could be persuaded.

I know there are posts on Glynn Johns, but it's a fairly specific question.

Thanks for your time!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: First attempt at Glynn Johns - Question re: overheads

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm

relyet wrote:Hello,

Just curious about your opinions. About to record a full kit for the first time. I like all the classic drum sounds, esp. Bonham and later Ringo.

I currently have one mxl R144 ribbon and one mxl cube condenser.

My question is should I go ahead and get one more R144 or one more cube to use as the second overhead (and why)? I am currently leaning toward getting another ribbon, but could be persuaded.

I know there are posts on Glynn Johns, but it's a fairly specific question.

Thanks for your time!
Which sounds better to you? Try them each in both positions and compare/contrast.

edit: some people use different mics in the two positions also. They're capturing fairly different "pictures" of the kit, so it kindof makes sense.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jordan s
audio school graduate

Post by jordan s » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 am

My advice would be to try it with what you have. I don't think there is anything that says you have to use the same mics. This really isn't the same as an xy or something. If it sounds good with the mics you already have, go with it. If you think one or the other would be better suited, then purchase another. You will never know until you try.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 pm

How does your room sound? If it's bright and splashy, maybe the ribbon would be better, unless you want the bright thing and then the condenser.

Also, could you go to the Guitarget and buy one more of each, and give each a run and see which you prefer and then return the other?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I agree with Tony, but in general (depending on the room) I'd be inclined to use the ribbons for the overheads, and the condenser for the front of kit.

Note that IIRC Glyn Johns used large diaphragm condenser mics for all 3....

Relyet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Relyet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:27 am

drumsound wrote: ... the Guitarget ....
:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:53 am

JWL wrote:Note that IIRC Glyn Johns used large diaphragm condenser mics for all 3....
The GJ method was a dynamic [AKG D-30] in front of the kit and a U-67 over and on the side. In the old Olympic room [the large one] was somewhat modeled after the large room at Abbey Rd... which was a great big room, with monstrously tall ceilings and was quite "non-reflective" which caused many tons of air to be moved with very few reflections - this gave the feeling of "space" without it being perceived as "reverb"... pretty damn close to impossible to achieve in most modern facilities no matter which microphones you use.

Also - most folks don't have the drums tuned in the same rather "open" manner which extended rather well defined notes to the drums. My point being - that mic selection is about 4th on the list of actual importance -- drummer, drums, room all come well before mics [though these days mics are the easiest to assign credit to the sounds as they are the easiest to attain].

Peace.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 am

Fletcher wrote: My point being - that mic selection is about 4th on the list of actual importance -- drummer, drums, room all come well before mics [though these days mics are the easiest to assign credit to the sounds as they are the easiest to attain].

Peace.
wait, so which mic preamp will get me the GJ sound again?

i keed. i keed.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 am

Jon Nolan wrote:
Fletcher wrote: My point being - that mic selection is about 4th on the list of actual importance -- drummer, drums, room all come well before mics [though these days mics are the easiest to assign credit to the sounds as they are the easiest to attain].

Peace.
wait, so which mic preamp will get me the GJ sound again?
yeah...

Also, why can't they just make a Glynn Johns emulator plugin?

Free of coarse.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 am

to the OP, though. The song, the drummer, the instrument, etc: these are all essential to the final product, of course. I recently did a modified GJ with a coles over the snare, and a modded Nady cheapo ribbon over the side and it sounded great. OT like Bonham, mind you, but killing. Prolly the best drum sounds of my recording life, actually! (woot!). That said, but the session of which I speak points directly to the player. A great player will make a guy look reeeeaally good.

so, fwiw, if your player is killing, don't sweat an unmatched pair of overheads. says I, anyway.

good luck man! hope it all goes well.

wish i was in austin. it's negative balls degrees here in NH right now.

jon

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 am

Jon Nolan wrote:wish i was in austin. it's negative balls degrees here in NH right now.
seriously. come pick me up and lets have a road trip down to austin and help relyet record some drums.

relyet i would just use what you have. i'm not so much a fan of the GJ mic setup, but i do love a mono overhead, so lately i've been messing around with both a condenser and a ribbon in the same spot over the kit and i'm liking it.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:27 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Jon Nolan wrote:wish i was in austin. it's negative balls degrees here in NH right now.
seriously. come pick me up and lets have a road trip down to austin and help relyet record some drums.
im outside your door right now. can't you hear my teeth chattering?!

Relyet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Relyet » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks guys! Actually we had snow in Austin last night. Crazy!

Last week we tried the cube overhead with a kickball and that's it (r144 a bit too noisy-- really had to crank the gain). Through ART preamp and compressor into my Tascam 388. Liked it. Did the rest in logic. About to start recording a new album in earnest and with our actual drummer playing drums (not me), really looking forward to the drums.

Thanks for the input and help.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:im outside your door right now. can't you hear my teeth chattering?!
That'll be me in exactly two weeks.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC