Orange Tiny Terror Combo amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ron's Brother
gettin' sounds

Orange Tiny Terror Combo amp

Post by Ron's Brother » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 am

I have the orange tiny terror combo amp. I am trying to find a place online that tells me what Ohms the speaker is. the tiny terror head (that is pretty much just screwed into the combo) has three outputs. Two 8s and one 16. All the info online I can find says that the speaker is: 1 x 16ohm, 2 x 8ohm.

So umm... help? is the speaker 16 ohms, so I can plug it into any of the outputs (best would be the 16 ohms)

Also, can anyone tell me the difference between The tiny terror head and the one inside the combo. The only thing I can find says "Slightly different." Is the only difference that there isn't a handle?
http://www.yourband.info great site to promote your band or music.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 am

if you have a multimeter, you can just measure the resistance of the speaker connections.

can't help with the differences, sorry.

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 pm

You can only use the two 8ohm jacks if both speakers are 16ohm.
You can only use one 8ohm jack with one 8ohm speaker.

You can not run two 8ohm speakers via the two 8ohm jacks.

so if a single speaker is in the 8ohm jack- its 8ohms
if its in the 16- its 16.

if you need anymore help, i highly suggest going to the orange amps forum and asking them. super helpful people over there.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewforum.php?f=2

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 pm

off topic, but I been using an Orange Micro Crush and it is so awesome. I use it with my Little Martin on a Bill Lawrence a300 acoustic guitar pickup. love that it has guitarstrap handles to wear it around, plus the tuner too. and the tone is great for a 9V battery. and with the adapter and line out I also use it as an electric guitar preamp

GREGL
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by GREGL » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 pm

ShinyBox wrote:if you have a multimeter, you can just measure the resistance of the speaker connections.

quote]

This is not correct- this will measure the reistance but not the impedence. They are not the same even though they have the same units (ohms).

Resistance is a DC measurement, impedance is an AC or signal frequency phenomenom.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:47 pm

GREGL wrote: This is not correct- this will measure the reistance but not the impedence. They are not the same even though they have the same units (ohms).

Resistance is a DC measurement, impedance is an AC or signal frequency phenomenom.
What you write is technically correct, however measuring still gives you useful info. For instance, a 4ohm impedance speaker will typically give a reading of like 3.2ohms resistance or so.