Mic choices for Glyn Johns/Recorderman...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

E-Rock
pushin' record

Mic choices for Glyn Johns/Recorderman...

Post by E-Rock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:30 pm

If you use this technique, what mics are y'all using?
I'm doing this a lot these days, and have been using either a pair of Fatheads, a pair of Earthworks, or a pair of 57's (sounds better than you think) :)
I'd love to hear what other people are diggin' and why.
Cheers!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 am

I did it for a long time with AT37Pro's, but now I'm digging my unmodded MXL 2001's much more. More beef.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:30 am

You larf about the 57's, I been using a pair of Digital Reference GX1 mic's (about S$25/ea.) for Recorderman/Johns.

Lately I been doing I a M/S thing, tho'.

(Samples of Recorderman/Johns can be heard at the TFP link below, and M/S - and also Zoom H2 - here; there are recording notes on each song's page.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:10 pm

I have used 57's on GJ overheads before, and I dug it quite a bit! The room was pretty small and acoustically UNtreated, so we opted to use those instead of our rode nt1a's (the only other pair we had at our disposal), thinking that the 57's would be less sensitive to room sounds.
I think it was a late 90's ludwig kit with lower-end zildjian cymbals. I did sm57's as the OH's, a kel hm-7u ldc about a foot or two in front of the kick (maybe with a blanket/pillow tunnel, I can't remember) and a senn. e609 silver on the snare. I know a lot of it was the tuning and the way the guy played his kit, but it is still one of the best, IMO, drum sounds ive gotten.

(Edited for grammar)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:49 pm

mscottweber wrote: The room was pretty small and acoustically UNtreated, so we opted to use those ....
Exactly my reasons.

Plus, I'm broke alla time.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm

57's are cool for this!
Anybody use anything like KSM32's or AT4040/4033/4047/4050?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:39 pm

i wouldn't want 57s as my only choice, but they can be cool as overheads. it's a 'sound'.

4050 in cardioid has been my default overhead for awhile now. i've liked the 4040 as well. i usually just roll with a mono overhead, but any of those mics would be cool for glyn johns.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:39 pm

I LOVE at4050's as drum overheads, but, alas, I have yet to try them in a Glyn Johns/Recorderman type setup.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:14 pm

+1 on the 4050 here. I use mine for a mono overhead, LOVE it in a recorderman setup (if I had a pair of 4050s there's a good chance I'd use them in recorderman setup and possibly not even need to mic anything else, except maybe kick and a room mic since that setup is on the dryer side). I've only used it a bit in Glyn Johns, but it never disappoints. That mic loves drums.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

eutopianaccident
audio school

Post by eutopianaccident » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 pm

I began (out of necessity) using a mis matched pair to say the least: a FatHead over the snare/high tom, and a Sterling over the floor tom. It actually creates a cool mismatch in top end naturally, and helps the stereo image a bit, if that's what you are into.

Using a couple of ribbons gets some good warmth and tubbyness, but sometimes you miss the top end.

Now I default to the Fat Head and a Victor, both Cascade ribbons.
Advice for the Young at Heart

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Like I do for a lot of other things, I think Oktava mc012's can be cool in that setup, especially if you have something out in front that can pick up some of the body of the kick & snare. I like what mc012's do with cymbals.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:19 pm

pair of groove tubes md1s, or a non symmetrical mix of an AT 4047 and an AKG C4000B. In general I like anything without harsh highs and with plenty of low-mid wallop.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:54 pm

+1 on the MD1's

I use two MD1a's in a somewhat in-between Glyn Johns/2 Recorderman setup. Sounds great, very not-harsh.

I then then augment with a Audix D6 for kick, a Rode NT4 on snare, an EV 635a in the middle of the kit, and sometimes a Rode NT2 as a room mic.

Sound pretty good, even in my crappy basement, although all those condensers do pick up my furnace when it goes off, or when my parrots start screeching upstairs.

Sometimes, nn the right song, that can be kinda cool.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Last time I used the Glyn John's mic technique on a kit, I used an Apex 205 ribbon mic over the rack tom/snare, a CAD KBM412 on the kick, Audix i5 on the snare and a Oktava MC012 SDC 6" up over the the floor tom, aimed at the snare. The drummer was a heavy cymbal basher & the Apex smoothed the cymbals out & provided a solid snare smack.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am

Like I do for a lot of other things, I think Oktava mc012's can be cool in that setup, especially if you have something out in front that can pick up some of the body of the kick & snare. I like what mc012's do with cymbals.
I did a session this past weekend with a three piece rock band and ended up using the MK-012s in recorderman over the kit (one overhead pointing down at the snare, and the other over the drummer's right shoulder), but I added a D112 on kick and a 57 on the snare, just to add some punch. Oh, and a 4050 for a room mic, about 6 feet out in front of the drums.

The drums came out sounding great. Probably the best I have gotten so far in my basement studio. I will mention that she is a very good drummer, with a very nice DW kit, that had brand new, freshly tuned heads, and my room is well treated with a cloud over the drums, so yeah, that probably helped a little! :wink: