deleting unused files in project in Logic Express 8

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

deleting unused files in project in Logic Express 8

Post by death by chandelier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:51 am

Hey. Thought I would ask this question here first... I did a Google search but what I found was inconclusive.

I record using Logic Express 8. I record the files on a separate FW drive. Anyway, to free up some space i decided to delete unused files in my projects.

Window>Audio Bin ---- then in Audio Bin I select Edit>Select Unused ---- then Audio Files>Delete Files.

I am given a message (warning): You can't undo this operation! Be aware that at least 40 projects also use these files.

When I start a new project I use a template that I have set up that has a good starting point for the tracks/channels I will need with track names (drum OVR, bass 1, GTR L, etc) already assigned. So when I try to delete these unused takes from a particular project, is Logic finding the same track names from other projects on the FW drive and attempting to delete those as well? Should i start naming tracks differently on each project to avoid this?

Thanks for any help.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm

You need to just manually delete any songs that you don't want anymore. If it's tracks that you're talking about, delete them with the song opened. I use Logic, and would never do a massive wipe out of stuff just in case, even though I back everything up to external drives.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:59 am

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I just discovered what was happening. Apparently when I went to save a template for future recording projects, the save included some audio files in the audio bin for the template. Anyway, when I would start a new project and used the saved template, it would load those audio files into my audio bin of the new project, therefore causing the above mentioned problem.

Anyway, I created a new template and made sure no audio files were in the bin.