AC power adapter help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ddorman
studio intern

AC power adapter help

Post by ddorman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 pm

I've recently been given a perfect looking DBX Project 1 266 compressor, that does not power up. I opened it up, everything looks clean, soldered in tight and there's no signs of any bulging caps or burnt parts. My guess is that it's the wall wart that's bad, because everything looks fine inside the unit. The adapter it came with has an output of 20VAC 400mA class 2 transformer. I cannot for the life of me find one of these anywhere, online or around the house - and search came up with someone asking the same thing in 2003 without an answer.

So I have a two part question...
1) Does anyone know where I can get one that will work?
2) I found somewhere that said you can use anything that puts out 400mA OR more that can put out enough current. So if I found one that put out more than 20vac and 400mA, it would be safe to try?

I know it's not exactly the most highly sought after piece of gear, but after playing around with my pair of 163x's smashing drums and clean guitars, I really want to try this thing out. It was free and if I can find one place to use it, it'd be worth it.

Thanks!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:38 am

Did you try the official channels?

http://www.dbxpro.com/parts_request.php

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:02 am

Mouser 553-WAU20-500 looks like the right voltage and enough current capacity. Might have to change the plug.

ddorman
studio intern

Post by ddorman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for the replies.

I did try the parts request but the only 266 model they have is the current 266xl. I signed up on their support forum but I guess you have to wait for a moderator to approve new accounts.

I tried looking at mouser, and was a bit overwhelmed with all the results. I was worried I'd order one and the plug wouldn't fit - but I didn't think about just taking the plug off the old one and replacing it. Maybe I'll just spring for that if I can't find one around town today.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:14 pm

You can use one that is rated for a higher amperage (ie higher than 400ma) but not higher voltage.

Do you have a voltmeter or access to one? It might be wise to test the wall wart with a voltmeter and make sure it's not working before buying another one.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 pm

what b3 said. amperage can be pretty much anything as long as its a higher number. Volts should be the same or possibly a couple volts higher.
Units that use AC power supplies like that guy and Alesis stuff, have some onboard power regulation and filtering. Units that take DC power supplies are usually dumping it straight to the circuit.
I've also seen 9v units measure almost double that. So maybe check the output of possible contenders witha DMM to see what they really put out!
It will change under load, but it should give you an idea. Esp since some wall warts put out LESS than what they are labeled. I'd be looking at laptop power supplies. Most of those are 18-20v.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."