Cubase 6 is here

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aj
pushin' record

Cubase 6 is here

Post by Aj » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 am

Cubase 6 was released this week. Lots of new stuff, especially in the multitrack editing area. More here:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... tures.html

Upgrade price is very reasonable - $149. As a long-time Steinberg user who records lots of acoustic drums, I'm thrilled they've finally added easier multitrack drum editing features (and something akin to beat detective, apparently).

However - I'm conflicted over whether to get this or make the switch to Pro Tools 9 (native). It's a tough call. Lots to consider. Also, it's interesting that only Windows 7 is officially supported (on both PT9 and Cubase 6).
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Re: Cubase 6 is here

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:36 am

I would have been way more interested in this before Pro Tools 9 came out and fixed all the crap that bothered me about Pro Tools. Now, I'm pretty meh about it. I may still upgrade at some point because the upgrade price is really reasonable. Thanks for the heads up!

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Re: Cubase 6 is here

Post by kingmetal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 pm

John Jeffers wrote:I would have been way more interested in this before Pro Tools 9 came out and fixed all the crap that bothered me about Pro Tools. Now, I'm pretty meh about it. I may still upgrade at some point because the upgrade price is really reasonable. Thanks for the heads up!
Exact same boat. This was kind of too little too late and I'm now trying to acclimate to PT9. I will probably upgrade eventually just to keep diverse options available to me, but man I wish this had came out last year.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm glad I waited to upgrade. I'm on 4.5 and was just about to upgrade to 5 when I heard the rumor of 6 coming down the pipeline. It costs less to upgrade to 6 than to 5, too. So I'm really glad I waited!

I'm all over this.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:45 am

Just ordered. I'm going to have to upgrade my computer, which is good because I'm finally hitting the limit of what it can handle (it's 5 years old and when I built it, I purposely stayed about a generation behind the curve at the time).

Really looking forward to the editing enhancements. I need to learn ProTools and almost sprung for the killer Mbox2 / ProTools 9 deal that Sweetwater has going right now, but frankly in my admittedly limited use of ProTools, I think the editing workflow is much better in Cubase. The new update seems to refine that even further.
www.organissimo.org

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Even though Windows XP is not officially supported for this upgrade, I'm happy to report that Cubase 6 runs fine under XP! Installed it this week and it already saved me so much time with the new Batch Export feature. That alone is worth the upgrade price to me.

The new look is fantastic: Really easy on the eyes and very readable. The engine is quick, stable, and the new features are sweet. I used the drum quantizing feature already, as well as the audio to MIDI feature, both of which are seamlessly integrated into the sample editor. The Group editing is also much improved as is the lane editing.

The REV-x reverbs are awesome (I know they were introduce in ver 5, but I just came from 4.5). There are some really nice sounding kits in Groove Agent One, which is easy to use (I own Groove Agent 3, which is a bit convoluted to use sometimes). And the new amp modeling is really fabulous sounding.

All in all, Steinberg nailed this one. I'm really happy with this update, much more so than previous updates.
www.organissimo.org