The next level

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

green dc
audio school graduate

The next level

Post by green dc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:22 am

Hi all- I'm looking for some philosophical insight, and maybe some advice when it comes to being a recordist.
I've spent the better part of my engineering experience working with bands and artists that have a certain level of ability and talent, and working to make their records sound better than they may actually be. I don't have any specific ethical issue with this- I suppose I believe my job is to give an artist a product as close to their aesthetic vision as possible, utilizing whatever tools I have at my disposal. The amount of work it takes to make any particular group sound professional varies, of course. Some take virtually nothing, some take a lot of work- and some require a very close relationship through the recording process, learning to understand a band as they change over time, and helping them clarify what they are trying to convey, both as performers, arrangers and how that ends up being turned into a product on record.
I think I'm decent at these things,-I've been a performer myself, and spent a lot of time on the other side of the desk.
The results have been reasonably favorable so far. I have a decent reputation for delivering quality recordings, and I have a decent workload, which I consider lucky.
My main issue is- how do I move to the next level of client? All I want is to work with excellent musicians, and to give them excellent recordings, as opposed to having this plateau I feel I'm at, client-wise. Nothing against the people I've worked with, but for my own aesthetic satisfaction, I'd rather just put the mics up, hit the button, and record awesome people playing awesome music, instead of staring at computer screens to give people a product which is "better sounding" than what they can actually do in a room.

Know what I mean?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am

Hi,

Welcome to the club.

Almost every artist wants to sound better than they are in
reality.

Keep on choppin an' tunin', it's hard to get the artist away
from that once they realize you can erase pimples...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:22 am

Raise your rates and then live up to that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:54 pm

i feel like there are no steps, just a constant series of small moves that over time make up one "step". keep on keepin' on, bro.

puffin
audio school

Post by puffin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:04 am

Raise your rates and then live up to that.
Great idea. I've been working on a project that I have been resenting doing a whole lot of editing for (mainly due to a poor cellist). I accepted a fairly low rate but I think that's going to change as of now. It's important to have an incentive to do great work.

Otherwise, you do poor work and are rewarded poorly. You end up shooting yourself in both feet.

Edit-----

Maybe what you should do is find great bands and players and work on a song to song basis to get your name out amongst the more talented types in your area. This is the hardest thing about getting your name out. Produce a song or two for a couple of great bands - for free if they're worth it - and they'll hopefully spread the word about your awesome recording chops.
Likes to do it 'on location'

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am

cgarges wrote:Raise your rates and then live up to that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I'd phrase it this way, "Raise your rates and then increase your value."

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Doing the 'free recording' thing is a bit tricky.

One way to do it without sounding desperate is to say" Hey I acquired this new piece of gear, or want to try this new technique. I need a great band to experiment with, and I really dig your music. Would you be interested in helping me out? You get a free song or two, and I get to see how this works. My usual rate is $x, but this would be just for fun."

People really appreciate getting a good deal on something expensive. But they don't necessarily have the same feeling about getting a good deal, if it's the regular price.

Swear them to secrecy about the pricing, too. Make it clear that you don't want everyone and their brother coming to you expecting a deal!