REAPER's new WALTER template/theme engine.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

REAPER's new WALTER template/theme engine.

Post by tateeskew » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 pm

i'm not sure if any of you guys/gals that don't use REAPER in any capacity have seen what you are able to do with the newly added WALTER (Window Arrangement Logic Template Engine for REAPER) to v4, which should be out soon, but it's pretty wonderful.

i wanted to post a screen of something that "White Tie" put up at the REAPER forum so you can see the potential.

REAPER v4 Imperial Mixer Theme

so, what do you think?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:24 pm

That looks very pleasing and nice, but I can't help but be a bit bummed that the dominant paradigm for a software interface is still a virtual recreation of its hardware counterpart. There's gotta be some other way to skin this virtual cat. Now that DAW's are the dominant form of multitrack (all?) recording, shouldn't we be at the stage where the hardware is trying to replicate the experience of using really great software, instead of the other way around?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:32 am

Mackie's Tracktion UI was built the other way. More like a classic tracker than a DAW. Ableton Live doesn't look much like a hardware anything. But... The real problem with computer DAWs is that they are still very clunky to operate using a mouse interface and that's probably something that can't be fixed by UI design alone. And if you are going to use an external controller, that's pretty much going to look like regular hardware unless the makers are very forward thinking.

The only remedy I can conceive of is if someone who makes both the software and the hardware does something ground up. In that case they could throw away all those years of legacy plugins and other crap. But in that case why on earth would they make it PC / Mac based, when those systems come with their inherent instability and driver issues and other bollocks?

Although I guess in a way software like Live are going the right direction when coupled with a multi-touch screen. Still I can't imagine I'd rather use that than a regular controller for tracking / mixing anything acoustic.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:10 am

Well I don't use reaper. but I think that is a sweet looking interface.

I prefer the hardware look personally, I don't like a million options I just want something clean that I can quickly get a good sound with.

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:53 am

That Imperial mixer theme looks awesome. I feel happier working on an attractive interface.
Thanks for posting this.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 am

T-rex wrote:I prefer the hardware look personally, I don't like a million options I just want something clean that I can quickly get a good sound with.

I'm not saying it has to have a million options. I just can't believe there's not a better paradigm entirely, options or no. I also thought I'd be flying to work on my hoverboard by now.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:28 pm

I think the point of this WALTER thing is that you can set up the interface however you like, and that the Imperial sample is just an example of what can be done.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:00 pm

EasyGo wrote:I think the point of this WALTER thing is that you can set up the interface however you like, and that the Imperial sample is just an example of what can be done.
exactly. WALTER is basically just the tool to give people the power to make nearly anything they want for an interface. this is just one really excellent example

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Very cool. Thanks for posting.