MXR Carbon Copy!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the north wind
gimme a little kick & snare

MXR Carbon Copy!

Post by the north wind » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:13 pm

I've been wanting to get a delay pedal for a while now.. I have the Ibanez UE-405, which is awesome, but a large rack thing, and I only use the delay on it.

So... since we have a show tonight and I didn't want to lug the whole rack with me, I went to the guitar store and tried about a bunch of delay pedals! Good times.

Pedals I tried :
EH Memory Toy : Not bad, but delays sounded a little mushy.
EH Memory Boy : Shorter delay time than the toy? Weird. Was ok, but again, pretty dark and mushy.
Ibanez AD-9 : This is the pedal I thought I was going to be, because it is supposedly the same as the delay in the UE-405, but, it is not. Seemed like it had a shorter delay time, and would not feedback on itself. I loved the sound of it, but I also love having the ability to make a delay self oscillate.
Boss DD7 : I was really impressed by this one. The analog setting sounded super super close to the Carbon Copy. Really nice and warm, and it has a ton of options. Tap Tempo, many different delay settings, reverse delay, and a 14 second loop thing. Plus, stereo. Two inputs and two outputs. I had a hard time decided between this and the MXR, but it was $20 more, and sounds like assbergers syndrom when it feeds back on itself. Which, as I mentioned, I love. So...
MXR Carbon Copy : I was not expecting to like this pedal for some reason... but it sounds freaking awesome. Semi-dark, nice analog, not mushy... 600ms of delay time, all analog with modulation! Neat. Much longer delay time than any of the others, except the Boss digital. Modulation sounds great, though I wish the trim pots to adjust that were on the outside instead of the inside. Seems super solidly built, and just sounds great. no unwanted noise, small and compact, yeah. I'm very excited about it. I wish I wasn't using it for the first time at a show, but oh well.

Pretty too! It's darker than it looks in the photo... in dim light, it looks mostly black. Anyway, first time in a long time I have bought something brand new, but I really like this pedal.

That is all.
Whales!

Scott Greenberg
pluggin' in mics

Post by Scott Greenberg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:00 pm

The Carbon Copy is a nice pedal, especially for the price.
I'd like to change your mind by hitting it with a rock.

-TMBG

thththediamondz
audio school graduate

Post by thththediamondz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 am

this is in my rack right now, and it's good, totally does it's job but i'm never excited about it. it seems kinda flat, like it's good that it's not too bright, and also like you said, it's not mushy. but it doesn't doesnt got no depth to me. i can't dive into it. i can't push against the thing cuz it feels like it doesn't push back. especially with guitar, it's hard to tell when you are imagining things. but either way, if an imaginary thing has a real effect, u might as well treat it like a real thing.

obviously more expensive analog delays are more expensive and others are much more expensive, so i think i'm ready to find an old DD-3 to go back to. or maybe just add in addition to this one. something makes me happy about those, even tho i'm aware of it's downsides. i tried a DD-6 once and didn't like it much, but can't tell if i was in a bad mood and grumpy or whatever.

and yeah, it's really pretty. i think that's what got me about it. i don't wanna sell it even cuz that dark green is too wicked.
me & my sleepy queens are
at the mezzanine bar,
gettin high, butterfly.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 am

thththediamondz wrote:i tried a DD-6 once and didn't like it much, but can't tell if i was in a bad mood and grumpy or whatever.
I got a DD-6 as a "welcome to the band" gift from a guy I play with now and then. The only thing that it doesn't do that I wish it did is an analog delay sound, but..it's not an analog delay, I'd rather have a real one. The DD-7 has an analog-imitating mode if I remember correctly, and I think it actually sounded pretty decent, but just not quite there. I like the DD-6 into tube amps with some character, but with very neutral solid state amps (a while ago I had a USA-made Peavey Bandit, for example) it leaves something to be desired, for me anyway.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 am

I like the CC as well. Of all I tried in the price range, it was the best. Unfortunately, mine has died on me twice now for seemingly no good reason, so I can't rely on it for gigs.

That said, I have a few friends who own them and have had zero issues, so mine seems like a fluke.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Post by williamsongs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 am

I also loved my CC delay, but it also died for no reason at a gig and had to be sent back to Dunlop. They actually sent back the same pedal, repaired. But now I just expect it to die some time when I want to use it. I only used it for adding blurriness into a spring reverb, not for echo sounds per se.
"Sounds to me like you're just a little bit cranky"

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:20 am

yeah, i got one and tok it back to the store the next day. it doesn't have that weird analog-y depth that my original AD9 and maxon ad80 have. In my opinion, for the money, the malekko 616 is the best box for the money. and, it's Aspergers. Not assbergers.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:03 pm

jgimbel wrote:I got a DD-6 as a "welcome to the band" gift from a guy I play with now and then.

Is this some kind of protocol I've never heard about? Most I've ever gotten (or given, for that matter) is maybe a Coors Light

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:07 pm

SoftSupply wrote:
jgimbel wrote:I got a DD-6 as a "welcome to the band" gift from a guy I play with now and then.

Is this some kind of protocol I've never heard about? Most I've ever gotten (or given, for that matter) is maybe a Coors Light
Haha I wish! It's a guy that I had been recording for almost a decade for free, haha. Also his way to try and force me out of my "guitar straight into amp" or "guitar into one OD into amp" mindset, haha. He's the opposite of a purist, while I try to keep things as pure as is practical and sounds good.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:31 pm

I just went electric and did so on the cheap. I picked up the Visual Sound Axle Grease (and the Chopper for trem) and I'm pretty happy with it. I've played acoustic for the last million years but wanted to dirty things up with an electric guitar and by the time I got around to effects, I was digging in the seat cushions. I am pretty happy with it and it was only like $59 or something ridiculous. I borrowed someone's Pigtronix that required a post grad degree to operate and I toyed with MXR before I knew I'd be going on the cheap. I have to say, I'm really, really happy with Axle Grease.