Vocal Mix problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cooters
gettin' sounds

Vocal Mix problem

Post by cooters » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01 pm

So for the past couple of days I have been mixing a project. It's catholic music with a latin thing going on. My question to all of you is this...

On one of the tracks the vocal is pretty messed up. It was recorded in a small vocal booth at the clients house. It has a window in it. When he recorded the vocal part it was way to close to the window. It sounds like it's in a beer bottle. It's feelmale voice. All over in the track there is crazy phasing sounds. Now this could be cool but not for this music. I tried EQing some of it out but it still doesn't fit into the mix. It sounds to odd. Any suggestions on what to do? I've already put way to much EQ on it. Sounded just as bad. Please I am open for suggestions also there is no time to rerecord. Due date is monday. Thanks

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm

hi,

without listening to a short example... it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Retrack.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:00 am

Think 80's; bury it in reverb.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:14 am

This addresses the room sound as opposed to the weird phase, which sadly cannot be fixed.

Boxiness is usually found around the 200-250hz mark, with a narrow Q take 6-10dB out of the vocal. This could make it sound a little less like it was recorded in a "beer bottle". Sadly everything you do is going to be a compromise.

Could you post a clip, as we are all working in the dark.

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:15 am

Transient Designer?

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:41 pm

All good ideas. I cannot post a clip. I do not have any of the files. they are all on his computer. I ended up cutting it at 240Hz -3 dB and 522Hz -4.5 dB and giving it a little air. It sounds alright. Any person who doesn't deal with mixing and stuff wouldn't notice. And it's one track out of 30. thanks for all the ideas. Oh and It is drenched in reverb. Not my choice. :shock: