RCA 77-D parts available? Considering purchase!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

RCA 77-D parts available? Considering purchase!

Post by Derrick » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi, can you get parts for the old RCA 77-DX ribbon mics? I have a chance to buy one that has what looks like some issues with the case. Heard wav sample of mic and it sounds fine although even if it didn't, I could re-ribbon it I guess... If I can get if for cheap enough, it might be my one and only chance to have one of these mics. So can you get parts like casing or metal screen or thumbscrews for the U-bracket? Pics looked like the screen was pulled out of the bottom half of the casing.

Thanks!
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 pm

As long as Clarence Kane is alive (or his apprentice, perhaps), I wouldn't worry so much about keeping RCA ribbons in working order. He can repair a lot of mechanical parts (straightening/resilking grilles, etc), even if they might not be available.

The 77DX is a great microphone that is worth having. There's the transformer, the ribbon motor assembly, and everything that holds it. Not really so many "parts" to replace... the electronic/functional aspect of the mic is very simple. I've seen people straighten dents on those grilles before with good results. For the right price, I'd definitely grab it.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.