Scorred an RCA 77-DX Ribbon for $450!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Scorred an RCA 77-DX Ribbon for $450!

Post by Derrick » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:14 pm

... in TV gray finish. Looks like it's all there except for one of the thumbscrews. All I should have to do is replace the cracking cable, get the missing thumbscrew, bend the cable tension clamp back, and give it a good clean (inside electronics and outside cosmetics). Then I can give the ribbon a critical listen to determine if I need it re-ribboned.

The guy I got it from said he found it in the trash at college in 1981. Actually there were two but one didn't pass any sound so it went back to the trash :cry: :shock: This is my first ribbon so I guess I'm going strait to the heart with this one here. Seems to sound very good for an old mic tossed in the trash and not cared for in at least 30 years! Anyone have a spare thumbscrew? :lol:

Last edited by Derrick on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 am

Nice. Those are awesome microphones, I hope you get it up and running like new. They've gone way up in price lately (like most vintage gear) so you got a steal. Even if it cost $400 to get it re-ribboned and refurbished, it's still a great investment.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 am

Makes you wonder how many other vintage mics have just been thrown away.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Yea, but surprisingly, the ribbon sounds like it might be in good shape. The wav file demonstrated a nice frequency range... I will have to do more tests after some preliminary servicing though of course. That will include spraying the switch, replacing the cord, and checking it is wired for proper impedance.

What is the best cable to use for replacement? I know I have seen some brown cable used on restorations like the original used (if just a bit thinner) which would be ideal. Perhaps it was Mogami??

Also, I have been reading some debate as to if it is better to wire for 150 ohms or 250 ohms impedance. Any insight to what would give the best sound and be most versatile on a verity of preamps? Or is that the trade off?
Image Image

Derrick

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Man, just send it to Clarence Kane at ENAK and get it restored. He'll knock it out of the park and you'll have a completely and totally awesome microphone. That thing looks great. I'm totally jealous of you!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 am

cgarges wrote:Man, just send it to Clarence Kane at ENAK and get it restored. He'll knock it out of the park and you'll have a completely and totally awesome microphone. That thing looks great. I'm totally jealous of you!
+1, every last bit of this.

I can personally attest to Clarence Kane at ENAK. He's one of the original RCA mic technicians, and he's getting quite old. Take advantage of this national treasure while he's here, because there won't be another.

cavemusic
audio school graduate

Post by cavemusic » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:05 am

cgarges wrote:Man, just send it to Clarence Kane at ENAK and get it restored. He'll knock it out of the park and you'll have a completely and totally awesome microphone. That thing looks great. I'm totally jealous of you!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I sent an RCA BK-5A to Clarence for restoration and he was a good guy to deal with http://enakmic.com/. He has a bunch of original RCA ribbon stock. It's better to phone him - he's not too quick returning emails. There are at least two other places that I know of that repair ribbon mikes, and they're worth talking to, even just to get some information and prices for comparison. Steven Sank -> http://cloudmicrophones.com/service/ has an original RCA ribbon-making tool. AEA -> http://www.ribbonmics.com/aea/services.html.

Oh yeah - I'm also jealous! Good score!!
kevin at cavemusic.ca
www.cavemusic.ca

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Who would be better to do a re-ribboning... Clarence Kane at ENAK, Steve Sank who now carries on his father's legacy, or Wes Dooley at AES? I heard that Sank had some major problems a few years back and people were accusing him of being a crook. Any insight?
Image Image

Derrick

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

I personally would never use anyone but ENAK. I'm sure the others are great, but I tried ENAK first and I can't think of a compelling reason to even try anyone else. Clarence Kane has leftover NOS RCA ribbon stock, and a lot of the test equipment they used. He was THE factory repair guy at RCA for manny years. The closest thing to "authorized service" you can get.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Clarence himself worked for RCA, not his father. That's a pretty direct link.

Sank did indeed have some well-documented problems a few years ago and although he's apparently got that stuff sorted out, the stuff he did was criminal and inexcusable in my book. I know a few people who've had him work on their mics with good results and a few people who were really unhappy with what their mics became after he had them. I don't have any direct experience with this myself, though.

I've not dealt with AES, but their reputation is stellar and I wouldn't hesitate to send something to them if I needed to.

I've had excellent experiences with Clarence several times over the years. He's not so great with emails, but he is usually reachable by phone and I've not ever had a problem with him or his work.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:31 am

Well guys, that was all I needed to read... Thanks! :^: What does Clarence charge for a re-ribbon these days (ballpark anyhow)?
Image Image

Derrick

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:56 am

Derrick wrote:Well guys, that was all I needed to read... Thanks! :^: What does Clarence charge for a re-ribbon these days (ballpark anyhow)?
You should probably call him and ask directly. I haven't had to use him in a few years, and don't know what his prices are like now. I remember it being very reasonable, though (don't even remember a ballpark, unfortunately). It probably varies from mic to mic.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:56 am

I suppose you're right.

OK, all I need to get now is a thumbscrew for the mount.. anyone have one to spare? I see that these thumbscrews tend to only be sold as pairs for $110.. that is crazy! I only need a thumbscrew/washer/collar for one side. Anyone have to buy a set but only use one side?? Or know who might just have one thumbscrew available?
Image Image

Derrick

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 am

Derrick wrote:I suppose you're right.

OK, all I need to get now is a thumbscrew for the mount.. anyone have one to spare? I see that these thumbscrews tend to only be sold as pairs for $110.. that is crazy! I only need a thumbscrew/washer/collar for one side. Anyone have to buy a set but only use one side?? Or know who might just have one thumbscrew available?
When you call up Kane, ask him about that, too. I don't know for a fact that he'll have a lead on one for you, but he does seem to be the guy who knows how to "put humpty dumpty together again" about these mics--mechanically as well as electronically.

cavemusic
audio school graduate

Post by cavemusic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Derrick wrote:I suppose you're right.

Most likely Clarence can sell you reproduction parts. I got a replacement shock mount, nuts, and some tiny screws from him for my BK-5A. I believe he has someone to machine parts for him.
kevin at cavemusic.ca
www.cavemusic.ca