new hard drive. what to do?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

new hard drive. what to do?

Post by Chris_Avakian » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 am

so, i just got a 500gb hard drive to replace an aging system drive. i was wondering if you guys thought it might be a better idea to use my 120 gig storage drive to use as a system drive, and use the 500 gig for storage, or would you just use the 500 gig for everything, partition the 500 gig for system drive, and storage, or what? i was reading on another post partitioning pretty much doesnt do anything for performance, but if my os gets hosed, id only be loosing the partition for that. im not sure if the 120 gig is 7200 rpm. the things gotta be 4 years old by now.

ideally i would just go, and get a second brand new 7200 rpm drive, but as its not an option right now, how would you guys set this up?

mucho gracias!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am

I'd put the OS and apps on the 120 and store the data on the 500. Unless the 120 is a crappy drive and/or giving you signals that it's dying. What make/model is the 120? I'd feel a little knowing that my precious data was on the newer drive and the apps and OS that I could reinstall from optical disk were on the older drive. Plus, barring other bottlenecks, you'd get better performance.

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 am

What SNARL said.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 am

ditto snarl
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 am

re: OS hose - true from a software perspective. But also understand that BOTH OS + data partitions will be hosed if there is a hardware failure.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs