Looking to buy a new vocal mic..suggestions appreciated!:-)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

spencerwalters
pluggin' in mics

Looking to buy a new vocal mic..suggestions appreciated!:-)

Post by spencerwalters » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm looking to get a new LDC mainly for vocal use.

So far I'm looking at...

? Blue Baby Bottle

? Bluebird

? Rode NT2-A

Suggestions appreciated!

I do alot of Pop/Rock and Indie/Pop. So I'm looking something not too bright. But definately bright enough to cut through electric guitars with little EQ. :D
- Spencer

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm

If you don't want something too bright why not a Shure SM7? That's a rock/pop vocal mic for sure.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

What is your budget?

Been searching for one myself, so here is what I was looking at for ldc's:

Charter Oak SA538
or
CharterOak E700

Lauten Audio Clarion
or
Lauten Audio Oceanis

Mojave MA-200

Miktek C7

Peluso 2247

Lesser Budget:
M-Audio Sputnik - I own one now....great mic for the price.

Audio Technica 4047sv
Audio Techinca 4050

SM7 - if you are a loud singer who projects.

Note....i like multi-pattern. I love vox in omni in a good room, and figure 8 can really tighten up a vocal sometimes. Plus then they are useful for other purposes.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm

I have a Sputnik too. it was "OK" until I put I through the right preamp. combined with my AML 5003D (Audio Maintenance Ltd from the UK) it sounds really good.

other mics I bought recently that I really like -- Advanced Audio CM47 (there's a review in TapeOp on this one).

Mojave Audio MA201fet - haven't actually used this on vocals yet but on drums, sax, accordian, it has worked really well. amazing mic for the $$.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Try some of the Peluso Mics.
I have the 22 47 LE and it is a great mic.
Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Not sure i should even post this, as i basically don't know shit about mics and only have a few, nonetheless i'll weigh in.

I LOVE my blue baby bottle. To my ears it's kinda darkish with a big low end. I mostly use it on myself for sort of spoken/croonish stuff. I like it on other stuff too including acoustic bass.
I just bought the lowest Neumann, the TLM 102 and am enjoying it as well. A bit flatter in response than the baby bottle, less proximity effect and low end, but i can see this mic being decent on a range of voices and other stuff.

Sputnik is high on my list too and may be my next mic. I hope any of this is relevant...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:41 pm

319s can work out pretty well for many singers, can you audition one? you could save a lot of scratch...

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm

If I were you, I'd consider savingup enough to get a used AKG C 414 B-ULS or Audio Technica AT4050. They are microphones that work for vocals and a lot of other sources. If later down the road you can get another to make a pair you'll have lots of options as they have variable polar patterns.

Or, get an Electro-Voice RE20. I think it sounds better on vocals than a SM7 and is a little more versatile. I like them on electric guitars and basses, and kick drum.

Honestly, anything cheaper just isn't worth it. If you don't have $350-$400 to spend on one of those mics, I'd just stick to a SM57 or SM58 on vocals.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Sean Sullivan wrote:
Or, get an Electro-Voice RE20. I think it sounds better on vocals than a SM7 and is a little more versatile. I like them on electric guitars and basses, and kick drum.

Honestly, anything cheaper just isn't worth it. If you don't have $350-$400 to spend on one of those mics, I'd just stick to a SM57 or SM58 on vocals.
you know I love the re20 on vocals too. Last recording I used an re20 and a octava mc012 in a sort of x/y pattern both with windscreens and it sounds really really good. Nice recomendation.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:56 am

I had a thread on here a while back that was really similar to this. I mostly record indie rock, and wanted something not too bright. I ended up putting off the purchase, but the ones I ended up with on my list that I intend to get as soon as possible are, as suggested by a number of the people who posted here:

Peluso 2247 (SE or LE)
AT4047 (I auditioned one of these, they sound amazing, very much like an SM7 in condenser form to my ears)
Lauten Audio Clarion (this seems like the best compromise of the right sound for the right price to me, sounds just right in that "natural" arena - darker than bright, but not rolled off sounding, I love the samples I've heard)
SM7 (I did get this one, and use it all the time, like was said if your singer projects a bit then it'll be beautiful. I actually like it on quiet vocals too but with the gain turned way up so it's picking up much wider, and it sounds more midrangy that way if that's what you're after).
I looked at the Mojave MA201 too, and some people said it's a darker mic, while others said it's a super bright mic, so I was never able to form a final opinion about this, and haven't had a chance to hear one.

So I ended up, instead of getting one LDC for vocals, getting an SM7 and AT4050, in an attempt to cover more ground. And that's really how it turned out, I use those two mics more than any others, and at least one will get used in every session. The 4050 is very, very natural sounding, but some folks sound sibilant through it, so it's not what I'd want as my only vocal mic. I'm recording a guy now who has a deeper voice that's somewhat Neil Young-sounding and we've used the SM7 and AT4050 for all of his vocals, and you definitely don't hear inconsistency.

Here's the link to my thread I had:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... b8be6467e5

Benefit from my long, extensive search!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:20 am

The AKG C414 (any version) rocks... As to the others you mentioned (other than the Rode), I have no personal experience, but there are some good reviews out there. I've had my eye on that Bluebird for awhile; it sounds good in the little on-line demos and YouTube videos I've heard and seen, but that's all I've got so far. I believe, technically, that it is an MDC (medium-size diaphragm).

Rode is one of those "controversial" brands (like Mackie, Behringer, etc.)-- they're "not supposed to" make good stuff at the price-point that they sell it at, and you'll hear a lot of negative about them on-line. As a counter-balance, I can tell you that anytime I've used one, they sound great. We have the LDC and the stereo mic, and they are quite decent.

Among the favorite vocal mikes that I have or have used (other than the 414 and the Rode)-- Sterling ST56 (GC branded Groove Tubes microphone; again, lots of different opinions, but I love it), a Joe Meek JM37 (which has become sort of a "go-to" for us, because it sounds good and doesn't usually need excessive EQing on various sources), a Sennheiser 441 (dynamic, but a GREAT dynamic with very "condenser-like" response; it is quite expensive, but can be had used on Ebay for well-under SRLP), and the Shure 55SH (the "Elvis mike," another dynamic, but in the right mic-pre, sounds coolio).

YouTube videos and spec sheets and other people's reviews are great, but the best way to know that a vocal microphone will work for you (assuming you are the singer), is to try it. Go shopping at a local audio store in your area. Guitar Center is good, in a Walmart kind of way, because they will not only price-match, but if you come in on a slow day, you can talk to one of their commission sales-people and tell them that you are ready to buy, you just want to really pick the right one, so you need to do some A-B testing. Bring a mike that you really know and like (SM58, whatever) as a control microphone, and bring some headphones and an adaptor. They should be able to set you up with a bunch of different mikes that you can check against your control, for tone and output. Listen through speakers and headphones, and get a second opinion from the sales-person (bearing in mind that he or she may try to steer you towards the most expensive thing they have). If you are not a singer, bring one with you. When I did this, I went in thinking that for sure I was leaving with an AKG C12, but I liked the Sterling much better! Know your budget, and use your ears...

GJ

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 am

Also, look at the Shure LDCs. Very neutral, but bright enough to sit in a mix well.

KSM44's are super versitile, and can be had for a good price used or new. If you don't want a mulitpattern mic, the KSM32 is also a great choice.

So let me refine the choices to mics that you won't outgrow and keep in the $300-$800 price range:

Dynamics:
Shure Sm7 - great on rock vocalist who project. paired with a decent preamp(neve) and compressor the sound rock is called forth.

Electrovoice re20 - really versitle from my experience, works on many different vocal styles, especailly rootsy, grumblers. Low proximity effect and plosive reduction friendly.

Cardiod LDC:
AT 4047 - a bit dark, but really sits in the mix well. Classic 70's vox, but at a much lower price that a neumann or the like.

Shure ksm32 - very neutral with a little more on the high-end. Super durable and versitile.

Mulipattern LDC:
AT 4050 - wonderful, neutral, durable. you'll never out grow this mic, and if I still had one I'd use it on every session. need to pick one up again.

Lauten Audio Clarion - great sound and versitilty. really impressed with this mic on vocals, wish I got to take it home. this is my personal front runner.

Shure KSM44 - akin to the ksm32, but now with more patterns. great, neutral mic for sure.

Tube LDC:
M-Audio Sputnik - sounds like a much more expensive mic, sturdy build, and decent little bump in the highs to cut through most dense rock mixes. A little silibant heavy, so placement is key....but once you find the right spot is shines like a crazy diamond. I own one, and use it on nearly every session for vox.

Ribbon:
Aea r84 (used around 800) - sounds great on everything, seriously. needs a high gain, low noise pre...but once you have that, you will be basking in smooth ribbon goodness, that when add a suble high shelf eq will literally brighten your day.

ok...a little refinement...and a price range.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:08 am

Sorry for being post master general here...but forgot to add this:

Try the mic out and test it as much as you can before buying. Or buy from a reputable dealer that will return the mic without a restocking fee.

Every vocalist is different, and sometimes even the most expensive mic doesn't sound right on a certian singer. I've been in a session where we ended up using an octava 219, instead of a u87 because it fit this singer better.

A few factors I usually cosider when choosing a vocal mic:
-How will this mic's frequeny response work with the perfomers voice?
-What polar pattern will best accenutuate the performance?
-How sibalant is the singer?
-How loud is the singer?
-What sound am I trying to acheive?

All of these can effect the mic choice and positioning as well as what room or where in the room to position the singer, and finally how much or little absorbtion will be needed to reduce or accentuate the room sound and or reflections.

ok...i'm done.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Correction

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:07 pm

PS-- The Sterling mike I was trying to describe is a "66," NOT a "56."

GJ

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm liking the Avantone CV12 and the ST69. The Sm7 is cool and the Joly mod octava 319 is nice too!
Peace,
Kevin