akg/fender mic's with built in reverb

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drewgrass
audio school

akg/fender mic's with built in reverb

Post by drewgrass » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:57 pm

does anyone know much about these mic's. how they sound. they were akg made fender branded mic's that have a built in spring reverb. ive been buying funky mic's here of late.

i scored a copperphone and a copper phone harmonica mini in a packaged deal.and that just got me going for strange stuff. i got a green bullet and i just won a altec salt shaker today. any other odd ball suggestions would be nice to. but i would love to know more about the fenders.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:43 pm

OH, i have a radio shack mic with spring reverb built in. its both awesome and useless.

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Don't know about those mics, but I love the Green Bullet. Use it micing a guitar amp, for a cool mid-range snarly guitar solo.

I've also used it for lead vocals. Definitely a particular sound, but works for the right tune. All the vocals for this were done with one of those:
http://michigansoundservices.com/media/ ... merika.mp3
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 am

I've been following these mics for a while. They don't go cheap, usually $300 and up. I finally got to hear one last month at a guitar shop (the Fender branded version.) It's cool, but overall I was underwhelmed. If the mic was $100 I totally would have picked it up, for $300 plus I thought it would sound a bit fuller. They are pretty cool though, and would be awesome for live use. I've only seen 1/4" outs on these as well.
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

TheGreeneSound
pluggin' in mics

Post by TheGreeneSound » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I have one they are actually really useful as long as you can face the fact that it is not a full sounding mic with a thick lush reverb. It is trashy and the reverb has a very short decay even when maxed out, but it can add a really cool ambience to drums, piano, electric guitar and vox very lofi. If you search for long enough you can find them for cheap. i would agree that as much as i do love this mic i would not pay 300 for one. The other problem is good luck finding one with the mic clip. Also they actually come wired so you can put a XLR connector on it the pin out is inside the battery compartment but the output is very low so you need a preamp with a lot of gain.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 pm