Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Tascam DP 008 Portable Recorder

Post by jackson park » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 am

Hi everyone. Has anyone tried this?

http://tascam.com/product/dp-008/

Just looking for general thoughts on it.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:12 pm

I've played around with it a bit. Compared to the cassette-based 488mkII I use and the 238 + M308B combo I had before, it colors your sound way way less. So you miss out on fun tricks like overloading the inputs and flipping tape for backwards tracks, and you have to work a little harder to get a "vibe"-y sound on the way in, but you also don't have to deal with insane amounts of noise/hum/hiss/etc.

If it's your first recorder, it'll do you fine (in fact I just recommended it to someone in another thread before reading this). and if you're looking for a scratchpad, it's good for that too. What's your experience, and what are you looking to get out of it?
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm

I had to give up my pro tools mpowered recently because of an emergency osx update etc etc and i don't do too much recording but the tascam dp 008 piqued my interest.

I guess it's all sort of the same. The thing is I have a preamp and would want to use it but I don't think there's an elegant way to come out of the pre and into the tascam while bypassing its pre's.

I just wanted to hear about any drwabacks or just general experience on it. Anyone else?

p.s. the only way I even heard about it was the guy from deerhunter mentioned how much he loved it while on tour and how it's changed everything for him.