Recording Radio Drama

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Recording Radio Drama

Post by g.a.harry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Anybody have any experience recording Radio Drama?

I'm just finishing up a script and starting to think about the whole huge process of recording, editing, and sound designing. As such I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by the whole thing.

I know, as with recording music, there are a couple of different approaches. The first being full cast recording, and the second being the overdub approach. My first impulse would be to go with the former, giving the actors the ability to really play off each other and get into the scenes. However, my inner anal retentive bastard screams for the latter, to afford me a much greater level of control over the pacing, panning, and levels.

There's also the question of sound design. I have a pirate copy of the Sound Ideas 6000 library, but I'm not much a fan of using it. For one thing, everybody and his uncle's dog uses it for everything. For another, I'd like to get some more experience recording and editing sound effects. But I'm worried that the sheer volume of sounds that I'm going to need might completely overtake the entire process.

I have an assload more questions, but I think I'll leave it to the two most important ones for the time being.

Radio Nerds Unite!

..W..

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Recording Radio Drama

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:22 pm

wonderfriend wrote:Anybody have any experience recording Radio Drama?

I'm just finishing up a script and starting to think about the whole huge process of recording, editing, and sound designing. As such I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by the whole thing.

I know, as with recording music, there are a couple of different approaches. The first being full cast recording, and the second being the overdub approach. My first impulse would be to go with the former, giving the actors the ability to really play off each other and get into the scenes. However, my inner anal retentive bastard screams for the latter, to afford me a much greater level of control over the pacing, panning, and levels.

There's also the question of sound design. I have a pirate copy of the Sound Ideas 6000 library, but I'm not much a fan of using it. For one thing, everybody and his uncle's dog uses it for everything. For another, I'd like to get some more experience recording and editing sound effects. But I'm worried that the sheer volume of sounds that I'm going to need might completely overtake the entire process.

I have an assload more questions, but I think I'll leave it to the two most important ones for the time being.

Radio Nerds Unite!

..W..
Hi mr. pirate...

"I have a pirate copy of the Sound Ideas 6000 library"...

At the risk of sounding like an ass...

Is there any money involved in this high seas adventure?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:07 pm

I directed a radio drama once.

Once.

It's one of those things I'm really glad I did, but I'll never do it again. Anyway...

My advice would be to make things easy on yourself and do a combination of ensemble and overdub recording. If a scene involves just two or three people interacting, have them record together. If there's way more going on, an overdub session might make for more work, but it'll preserve your sanity.

As far as sound effects, don't be afraid to Foley as much as possible. It'll sound more convincing for the everyday stuff (i.e. doors closing, footsteps, etc.).
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:30 pm

1) record the actors together. Acting. Just like recording a rock band, you want the interplay of the various players. Separate them in iso booths or with gobos, and record them to separate tracks, so you can still edit and mix.

2) pay for your sound effects library. :roll: Or create your own. Best yet, do both; use a combination of original and legally-obtained library effects. Sound Ideas is a great library, and you could certainly do worse than to use it in your production. But you will get a bunch of valuable experience making the sounds yourself. You may even come to value the sounds you've pirated more highly once you figure out what's involved in making them.

Sorry to be so harsh about the piracy issue. I wasn't the first to come down on you about it, and I am certain I won't be the last. I know it's not what you were looking for when you posted here, but you've opened the can, and the worms will get out.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 am

Warning: thread hijack about to occur in three....two....one.....

why do people still think its ok to steal software? stealing is stealing.

I'll go back to my corner now.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:41 pm

wonderfriend wrote:I have a pirate copy of the Sound Ideas 6000 library, but I'm not much a fan of using it.
;)

@CurtZHP: If you don't mind me asking, what specific problems did you have? Scheduling, personality clashes, recording logistics?
The reason I ask is that this project is very much an exercise in the whole thing (and sound design too). It's something I'd like to become my particular specialty, but at the moment I have very little idea about the process.

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 pm

@Nick Sevilla:

Sorry, I don't mean to be glib (well... I do kinda). But to answer your question, yes/no. To start with it's a personal project just to lay out the groundwork for future productions. That said, it would be fantastic to sell it on to the CBC, BBC, or NPR (maybe even privately through iTunes, et. al.).

I guess I should have stated more specifically that though I may have a pirated library at the moment, I am in the next few months aiming to completely replace it with purchased libraries like the ones from this guy: http://www.therecordist.com. I'm just taking my time to search around a bit, explore options, and figure out what I really need.

I downloaded the 6000 just to have something to play with when I was at audio school. I would never use it for any paid work, if for no other reason than the simple fact that getting caught would absolutely destroy what little reputation I have already.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:00 pm

I wouldn't doubt that some of the issues rose from just plain old inexperience. It was a first for everyone involved, so none of us had a clue.

Scheduling was a big hurdle. All the actors had lives (and day jobs). So getting everyone in the same room at the same time was a feat in itself. Tip: Never underestimate the power of CATERING!

Personality clashes were pretty much non-existent. Most of the cast knew each other and had worked together in other capacities.

The editing was a beast too. Since it was being produced for radio, it had to fit into a certain time window. Imagine the horror of putting together a masterpiece and discovering that it's nine minutes too long! (One actor's entire role in the program got cut.) In the end, it was still almost a minute long, and with the airdate fast approaching, we ended up just time-compressing the whole mix to make it fit.

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 pm

It sounds like you were doing a single, 60 minute play. How long was your timeline? That's kind of my biggest question, particularly as it relates to budgeting and income (I'm hoping to make at least a part of my living off of it). I suppose I'll find out but as they say, "knowing is half the battle."

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:25 pm

If I remember correctly, we had about four weeks to put the whole thing together, and we only had a 26 minute window for broadcast.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:43 pm

CurtZHP wrote:Tip: Never underestimate the power of CATERING!
Absolutely!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:00 pm

And, again, if you don't mind me asking, how did you bill the station/production house? I don't need a specific number, but was it for the whole piece, daily, weekly, per-airtime-minute?

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:26 pm

wonderfriend wrote:And, again, if you don't mind me asking, how did you bill the station/production house? I don't need a specific number, but was it for the whole piece, daily, weekly, per-airtime-minute?

In this case, it was a "Christmas Special" edition of a syndicated radio program. I (and most of the others involved) was already on the payroll as the program's engineer, so there was no billing involved. The actors who came in from outside did it on a volunteer basis.

So I can't really answer that.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:25 pm

My wife got her master's degree in old radio topics, so I've been exposed to radio dramas galore. Here is a really cool video that shows a lot of the techniques used for sound effects. Just watch the actors and the way they use movement and distance from the mic to create a convincing illusion. Amazing this was live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-OJVnS2jg
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:24 pm

That was so cool, I wanted to see/hear the whole thing! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.