Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Process or End Result?

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 am

I've come across a few types of people in the recording world-

1. those who are starters, but not finishers

2. those who are end results oriented and are focused on the final result

3. those that are process driven with their focus on the process of making a record with no view or commitment to work toward an end result.

We'll leave the 'gear hound' out of this for now.

Where do fit in to these? Also, are you mostly a musician? Or mostly an engineer?

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am

which one are you?
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:39 am

jeff is clearly an engineer, and from reading his posts over the years i'm not at all sure he even KNOWS any musicians.

what is the point of this? i'm guessing you want people to say "uh, yeah, i start a lot of projects but then get bored, so i guess i'm number one" or "uh, yeah, i really like the process of making records but all my stuff gets bogged down in post production so i guess i'm number three" so you can reply "see, guys, one thing i learned working with the big guns out in LA is that you always gotta be focused on the end result: legitimate, bar coded product."

i would be #3, as i like the process, but i actually finish stuff, so you have to make another option for me. also the way you have that worded is dumb, because i don't know too many people who go through the whole process of making a record without commitment or a clear goal of the end result.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:59 am

I almost always start as #3 (as I assume most do) until I am more familiar with the project and musicians. Once I have heard the core of the compositions I slowly start becoming a #2.

Also a short turnaround/deadline can keep me as a #2, throughout the entire project.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 pm

What about #4, pretty good at finishing, but a helluva time starting?

That's me.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:jeff is clearly an engineer, and from reading his posts over the years i'm not at all sure he even KNOWS any musicians.
Bwaaaahahahahahahaha

As for the 3 points:

1. This person is usually a great good idea guy, but can't see the forest for the trees. Gets excited and delves into sounds, but has no goal in mind. Usually gets bored and is more akin to 'process guy' #3. No one ever hears the end result. He needs moderation to be effective. Doesn't know when something is good, but is inclined to create.

2. This person focuses the whole, pushes toward the end result. Can let go of something, learn from it and move on to the next project. Usually a good moderator of ideas and a good editor.

3. Process guy doesn't know when something is done. Close to a gear hound. The act of creating is enough. Lacks overall view of the 'whole'. Fits in as a single piece of the puzzle.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:I almost always start as #3 (as I assume most do) until I am more familiar with the project and musicians. Once I have heard the core of the compositions I slowly start becoming a #2.

Also a short turnaround/deadline can keep me as a #2, throughout the entire project.
Interesting. You can see how this matters. I think we all need to have a little bit of #2 in us to get anywhere.

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm

I am 100% number 2. I hear things finished even when its a practise session for a band, or a demo, or a riff. Whatever! I hear something and I finish it off in my head. My musical imagination is pretty good, even if i say so myself. Ask me to write a track and I can't. But ask me to help make the best of a song someone else is doing and I am good.

Seldom an initial ideas man, but everything starts flowing as soon as something touches me musically.

I can safely say its frustrating, as I hear it, and if i cannot get it right it bugs me until it IS right.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Jeff, I always knew you were a "number two."

8)

No offense, I couldn't resist.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:26 pm

I can't assign myself a number, but I do think it's most important in this job for us to enjoy the process and do what we can so others can enjoy the product.

My accessible rates and flexible booking policy have made for a lot of albums that happen one weekend at a time. I'm getting more into the idea of people just freaking finishing a record already. I know I get paid more when they mull over it more, but it's not always best for momentum.

The process is always fun with people who interact. I don't like doing the job by myself, like playing music, I prefer a dialog to drive the process.

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:08 am

don't you oppress me.
greetings from Flyover Country...

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 am

I start fast, end at the deadline and never have an idea of how the finished work should be.
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 am

Clients come to me and need stuff done, by a certain time, for a certain amount of money. I get said stuff recorded, edited, mixed and on the air or onstage by their deadline, and within their budget. Which type does that make me?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:14 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: what is the point of this? i'm guessing you want people to say "uh, yeah, i start a lot of projects but then get bored, so i guess i'm number one" or "uh, yeah, i really like the process of making records but all my stuff gets bogged down in post production so i guess i'm number three" so you can reply "see, guys, one thing i learned working with the big guns out in LA is that you always gotta be focused on the end result: legitimate, bar coded product."
@?,*???&? wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote:I almost always start as #3 (as I assume most do) until I am more familiar with the project and musicians. Once I have heard the core of the compositions I slowly start becoming a #2.

Interesting. You can see how this matters. I think we all need to have a little bit of #2 in us to get anywhere.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:32 pm

I record bands.