Clicks and dropouts when I shouldn't be getting them

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bias Ply
audio school

Clicks and dropouts when I shouldn't be getting them

Post by Bias Ply » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:24 am

Hi all,
This is probably something really dumb, but the sooner I find out what it is the sooner I get back to audio and away from computers.
I recently built myself a smoking new DAW computer,

Gigabyte G41M-ES2H motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5G processor
6G RAM
A fresh legal install of Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

RME Multiface w/ADAT XT linked via ADAT (as converters 9-16)
-with updated x64 drivers

UAD-1 DSP card - also with updated x64 drivers

Reaper x64 (running 48k/24bit)

and NO other plugins installed.

This system should be abso-freakin-lutely rock solid.

But, while playing back 16 tracks with the UAD disengaged, and only the master out running to the RME (ie. not running discrete tracks to analog desk), and running Latency Checker showing a consistent less than 2 msec of latency.....
I'm getting random crackles and pops, and quick dropouts.
CPU load is around 2%

I've checked the go-to stuff like bad cables etc...
and it's not artifacts on the tracks themselves....
Increasing the buffer size also has not affect

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 am

Sounds like a clocking issue to me.

Bias Ply
audio school

Post by Bias Ply » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:51 am

Dave
Hey, I thought I recognised your name, I've mixed the Fembots (live) a few times over the years. I used to work at the Starlight (Kitchener) and for the Rheos among others. I'm getting this computer up and running for a boutique-ish little studio I'm building from shipping containers down here in Houston.

Clocking - yes seems likely, but I've stripped this down so far I don't know what's left to change/adjust.

One thing I will try that I should have tried before posting, disconnecting the ADAT that's slaved off the RME. (will report back on that)

Steve.

Bias Ply
audio school

Post by Bias Ply » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 pm

So I disconnected the ADAT XT from the RME, minor change in crackle frequency. I then raised the buffer to 256 from 128. This did get rid of the crackles, but I really think this system should be able to handle a 128 sample buffer.
Am I just asking too much of this technology?

LowG
alignin' 24-trk

Post by LowG » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Funny, I have a very similarly spec'ed computer (reaperx64, windows 7x64 pro, nice Gigabite motherboard, intel i5 duo processor, UAD card) that I just had custom built and am also having skipping and clicking during playback. I'm using an Echo audiofire 12 in and out of a board and an audiofire 2 taking in the board mix.

It does sound like clocking problems I've had in the past, but I'm not having any luck getting it running right....Mine is tracking fine, just playing back poorly.

I need to spend some serious time with it and see if I can figure it out... I'll post on here if I solve my problem, maybe it'll help yours....but I don't know how soon that can happen tooooo busy!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi,
I've been running a 9652 for over a decade. I've had that problem when I have a wireless net card plugged in, both local wireless and cell card wireless. I've found that disabling it in control panel, and rebooting before starting to work is the best solution in XP pro. Both of my cards are usb, and just pulling it, the system keeps searching for it. When I'm not on the road, I even disable the hardwired internet connection.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I was having crackles and dropouts with my newish system until I sorted out the clocking issues. There was only one "right" way to setup the 3 pieces of digital gear where it worked for both tracking and playback and it was the theoretically worst way to set it up of the choices I had. IE worst clock as master.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Bias Ply
audio school

Post by Bias Ply » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:22 am

@mrc - thanks, I'll try disabling that adapter.

starbearer76
alignin' 24-trk

Post by starbearer76 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Bias Ply wrote:So I disconnected the ADAT XT from the RME, minor change in crackle frequency. I then raised the buffer to 256 from 128. This did get rid of the crackles, but I really think this system should be able to handle a 128 sample buffer.
Am I just asking too much of this technology?
just a suggestion that has worked for me, but perhaps your circumstance is different...

using the internal mixer on the rme and monitoring whatever it is you are tracking through there could allow you to increase your buffer size even more. does the multi face have an internal low latency mixer?

thats what i do through my motu set up. i monitor tracking through cue mix and i have my buffer setting pretty huge and that for sure keeps those kind of clicks and pops from happening for me.

unless you are doing something that you absolutely have to monitor your tracking straight off of your DAW.
get your ears professionally flushed at least once every two years. the best gear upgrade you'll ever purchase.

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:44 am

Honestly guys, it sounds like clocking, but not the kind that you are talking about.

I would check the DMA latency on the PCI buss. I had this issue in the past. You can set the latency on each and every card on your pci buss. You want the audio card to have first priority, the UAD #2, and your video card LAST. Most systems auto adjust so that the Video card is first....this causes havoc with audio playback.

That is actually what that little buffer setting is in the UAD control panel......

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 am

obermorph wrote:Honestly guys, it sounds like clocking, but not the kind that you are talking about.

I would check the DMA latency on the PCI buss. I had this issue in the past. You can set the latency on each and every card on your pci buss. You want the audio card to have first priority, the UAD #2, and your video card LAST. Most systems auto adjust so that the Video card is first....this causes havoc with audio playback.

That is actually what that little buffer setting is in the UAD control panel......
I too have a similar issue, and it sounds like this could be the solution, but how do you go about changing the priority settings as you've described them?
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:10 am

Trying to find the utilities that I used.

researching. will get back to you.

r

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 am

Found the article that gave me all of the resources.

http://raincomputers.com/pro/software/a ... i-latency/

This had a bunch of the info that I needed to fix.

Utilities that were suggested....

"There are a number of software tools available for managing your PCI latency settings. Almost all of them are free for download, and a few ask for a small fee ($10 to $20) to activate the ability to apply the saved PCI settings on reboot. These tools include PCI Dawg, Double Dawg, and an application called LtcyCfg."

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 am

obermorph wrote:Found the article that gave me all of the resources.

http://raincomputers.com/pro/software/a ... i-latency/

This had a bunch of the info that I needed to fix.

Utilities that were suggested....

"There are a number of software tools available for managing your PCI latency settings. Almost all of them are free for download, and a few ask for a small fee ($10 to $20) to activate the ability to apply the saved PCI settings on reboot. These tools include PCI Dawg, Double Dawg, and an application called LtcyCfg."
Thank you!!
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:48 pm

No problem!

I hope it worked for you as it did for me!

I was in the middle of a time crunch finishing a record with a deadline. Had to replace video card at the last minute yadda yadda yaddda....poop, grumph, etc...

it was a life saver.

r