Convert a footswitch to a button on the end of a cable?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

yoonchul
audio school

Convert a footswitch to a button on the end of a cable?

Post by yoonchul » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 am

I have a proco Panic Button that I'm using to split a mic signal and switch between the two. One output is dry and the other goes to an effect unit. I basically use it to turn on and off a vocal effect via the footswitch. The pedal works great with no popping when switching. The issue is that I would rather have the footswitch be a pushbutton switch on the mic itself so that I'm not limited to where I can engage it on stage.

Is there a way to remove the switch on the panic button and have it on the end of a cable that I can then have on the mic? I'm thinking of the switch on the end of a 15' cable with a velcro cable-tie thing that I can wrap around the mic. Is it as easy as replacing the leads to the switch in the pedal with wire in the cable and then reconnecting the wires to the appropriate connections on the switch? Also, would it be simple to convert the on/off switch to a momentary push switch?

And finally (although this isn't that important) can have a 1/4" jack on the pedal and have my new cable with the switch on one end plug into the pedal via a 1/4" jack, like how a sustain pedal plugs in? I'm thinking that it would allow me to have cables of varying lengths as well as allowing me to troubleshoot easier in case things go wrong.

Thanks for your help!

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:01 pm

You can have a switch on the end of a cable, in fact you can make it in parallel with the original switch, so they both work, in case you lose your cable or it breaks during the show. Switchcraft makes a cable with a built in switch, like those used in a hospital bed (to signal a nurse, or that a producer would use in the studio to click on the TB mic).
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsumma ... Parent=844

So you can find something like that, or make one yourself. Just see if the switch that you have on your pedal is a momentary, or a "push on, push off" or another type of switch, and see how many poles are involved. If you're not sure, than take it down to a local electronics supply store (radio shack) and see if they can help you find a similar switch.

yoonchul
audio school

Post by yoonchul » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks for pointing that switch out for me. That's exactly what I needed!

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am

Just don't get carried away...

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 am

yikes, that things is frightening yet titillating at the same time!
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 pm

That guy appears to need a lotta nurses ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.