Getting started mixing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

in2thegapagain85
ass engineer

Getting started mixing

Post by in2thegapagain85 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:10 am

So up to this point I've always just done the tracking side of stuff, but never really mixing. Now it's getting to the point where I want to start mixing stuff as well. I understand most of the theory and concepts of eq, compression, etc., but I'm really at a loss as far as where to start or a general workflow.

I realize that most people will say "just use your ears" and I understand that there's no substitute for listening, but I'd still like to develop some kind of basic plan of attack.

Any recommended reading/videos on the web? Or print books? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dabloozbuoy
audio school

Post by dabloozbuoy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 am

so, i usually start with the drums and get the kit sounding right. to do that, i start with the kick, then add the snare, followed by the overheads and any other channels you have. i listen for balance and width and try to make it sound like the kit i recorded.

usually bass is next and then the rest of the rhythm section. i leave vox & leads out until i have the rhythm section done. i generally like to close my eyes when mixing and visually picture the band, making adjustments until they are all in the right 'place' in my mental view.

after that i do vocals, first lead and then backups.

finally add any solo instruments.

just an approach that works for me.

fwiw
unix geek by trade; recording geek by passion

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 am

I remember this happening to me years ago.

I like to do the following when starting a mix :

1.- LISTEN to the whole song several times, with al the parts that will constitute the mix. Don't worry about anything like balances, effects, panning etc. Just LISTEN.

2.- If there is a lead vocal, NEVER turn it off. I mean this. The lead vocal will determine in every case the levels for the other instruments. This is your "yardstick". I usually place the vocal in a good loud level to begin with, pretty much the loudest thing from the start. Level-wise, I try to have the loudest parts of the vocal hit 0 in the analogue buss, or -6 peak, in digital buss, to start.

3.- While still LISTENING to the entire mix, start discerning which instruments are in the way of the lead vocal, and turn them down first.

4.- After you get all the instruments to sit under the lead vocal, then start deciding about MUTING. The MUTE button is your friend. If there are too many competing parts in the fray, decide which one will dominate in which part of the song, and mute the other instrument. Sometimes musicians will play an instrument ALL OVER the song, because no one decided where the instrument should play in the song. It will be up to you to decide where that instrument plays, and where it does not.

5.- Once you have some sort of logical sense of the arrangement, you can start to PAN instruments around the stereo field. This is where similar parts, or doubled parts can be placed for best effectiveness.

6.- NOW you can start thinking about EQ, compression, effects etc. Now that you have a rough idea of what is where and who is important during which section of the song, you can start to make your mix.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dabloozbuoy
audio school

Post by dabloozbuoy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm

never thought of that approach wrt the vocals always up. i'll have to give it a try next time around.

thx 4 the tip!
unix geek by trade; recording geek by passion

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm

dabloozbuoy wrote:never thought of that approach wrt the vocals always up. i'll have to give it a try next time around.

thx 4 the tip!
Vocals are king and should be the loudest instrument and intelligible...

I like first to work subtractively, muting tracks that aren't necessary..for example if toms don't get hit in that song, or a high hat mic is often not used as I usually get it enough in the overheads. If there is editing to be done I get that done first... Then I build up the drums.. I pan the kit out to create a realistic image, and usually EQ, comp, gate, and buss compress the whole kit. Then bring in the bass, a little EQ and comp, establishing a complimentary relationship to the bass drum, then pan out guitars, maybe EQ, rarely compressing. Bring in the vocals, usually EQ/comp, other instruments, echo and reverb...

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:42 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:I remember this happening to me years ago.

I like to do the following when starting a mix :

1.- LISTEN to the whole song several times, with al the parts that will constitute the mix. Don't worry about anything like balances, effects, panning etc. Just LISTEN.

2.- If there is a lead vocal, NEVER turn it off. I mean this. The lead vocal will determine in every case the levels for the other instruments. This is your "yardstick". I usually place the vocal in a good loud level to begin with, pretty much the loudest thing from the start. Level-wise, I try to have the loudest parts of the vocal hit 0 in the analogue buss, or -6 peak, in digital buss, to start.

3.- While still LISTENING to the entire mix, start discerning which instruments are in the way of the lead vocal, and turn them down first.

4.- After you get all the instruments to sit under the lead vocal, then start deciding about MUTING. The MUTE button is your friend. If there are too many competing parts in the fray, decide which one will dominate in which part of the song, and mute the other instrument. Sometimes musicians will play an instrument ALL OVER the song, because no one decided where the instrument should play in the song. It will be up to you to decide where that instrument plays, and where it does not.

5.- Once you have some sort of logical sense of the arrangement, you can start to PAN instruments around the stereo field. This is where similar parts, or doubled parts can be placed for best effectiveness.

6.- NOW you can start thinking about EQ, compression, effects etc. Now that you have a rough idea of what is where and who is important during which section of the song, you can start to make your mix.

Cheers
Nice breakdown, you should teach. :-)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 am

Strange thread,
in a forum where "it depends" is the law I've already been taught that you can arrange a song as you like deleting parts that you don't see fit and that, no matter what, vocals have to be the loudest track.
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Wow...great breakdown nick!

For me the exception to this, is when you have done the tracking and some arrangement yourself. Then, I'll usually have levels, pans, and maybe which channels are feeding into a verb aux or compression bus. I'll usually start panning during the recording, and if I have made the correct descision, it usually stays around that posistion.

Also, I don't think vocals have to be the loudest, most present thing, but it does help you assess the level easily if they are in the mix from the start.

Syngriner
studio intern

Post by Syngriner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:16 pm

I am currently reading "Zen and the Art of Mixing" by Mixerman. There is a bunch of great information about all aspects of mixing and I would definitely recommend the book. The author has a strong point of view and I don't agree with everything he says but I have learned a lot and I am really glad I got the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Art-Mixing-Te ... 275&sr=1-1
"Politics is the entertainment branch of industry" - Frank Zappa

"Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible" - Frank Zappa