The Nomad's rig

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:30 am

I carry a MBP, Samson GoMic, Edirol R9 & a folder of original songs in a backpack all the time...sure it sacrifices "ultimate fidelity" compared to most of my other mics, preamps, and such, but it is uber-portable!

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:33 am

trodden wrote:
casey campbell wrote: 3. the o.p. never mentioned what type of projects he was doing.
KOI POND!!!

ooooo, that would be really cool......

http://store.payloadz.com/details/76078 ... ummer.html

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:08 pm

I'd take Sound Devices 788t SSD. Two pairs of C414 and four DPA 4060 lavs with XLR adapters. Or maybe a couple of wireless pairs, they don't weight much. Sennheiser 416 shotgun and a boom. Mic stands are pretty ubiquitous so I'd borrow those at the location when needed.

That lot should fit in a backpack with enough clothes for a couple of days.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Aiight, I have one of those large nylon laptop/file cases, small enough to be carry-on.

Innit I have a Zoom R-16 (8 I/O, two are switchable phantom powered), 4 dynamic mics, two LDC's and a SDC, a small headphone amp, large sealed headphones, a headphone amp and two powered HK computer speakers.

However, mic cables need another case, and then there's the need for stands ... IMO, it might well be cheaper/easier to rent or buy and re-sell that stuff at the site.

My other remote rig, BTW, izza Zoom H2, fits in my jacket pocket. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Taking further inventory, as it were:

I keep mic cables (20-25') wrapped on one of those home-improvement store extension cord "H" spindles. It's quite heavy, and ends up about 18"x8"x8".

The mic stands (5 booms, a kick stand and a straight-up) I keep inna duffel bag.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 am

Hey everyone, thanks for the ideas and responses to my vague question!

I'm mainly a recording/mixing engineer and composer. I do lots of editing, sequencing, DSP, ITB mixing and online file transfers, so a laptop is essential.

I worked in a commercial studio & music TV network for 3 years before moving to rural MO to take care of my demented grandma; for the time being I often end up going on location to record or mixing audio that was sent over the internet. I take out my 2005 12" Powerbook G4 with a dead battery & an original Mbox, then work on it at home with my desktop. I'm gonna replace both with one machine.

Towards the end of the year I'm packing everything in my grand caravan and moving to Portland. Drum set, rhodes, analog synth, guitars and amps will take up most of the space. The more compact my other essentials are the better, so another reason to replace the desktop. After I get there I'm considering storing everything and go nomad style for a few months.

Currently I use a pair of Grado SR225s for headphones and I have a pair of 57s for mics. I'm thinking I want to get a SDC of some sort and another condenser that I can change the polar pattern on. Maybe a ribbon too. I was looking at a duet for interface. Something small, but has at least 2 preamps, headphone out, line out and is bus-powered. Maybe some headphones that fold too. I'd like to be able to just pull out my gear and do work anywhere.

I had thoughts about having a portable 8-channel setup so I can record drums and bands, but I agree with some folks here. It would be easier to just rent or borrow gear at that point. Recording a single musician is one thing, but there's enough logistics in recording a band that borrowing or renting some gear wouldn't be much more complicated.

For portable stands I was thinking this. It's a 6ft stand that folds to 19".

My budget is around $3000, with $2000 going to the laptop. I do video editing work too, it would be worth the investment. So, a grand for the interface, a few mics and stands basically.