SM57 versus ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ken96
studio intern

SM57 versus ???

Post by Ken96 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Long story short, I lost most of my mics (mikes, I know, semantics) and am putting my "locker room" back together. I have a decent collection in the process, and am ready to plop $300 out for three new SM57's. I was curious as to what else is out there currently that is comparable to the 57 for the price.

I mainly need them for recording guitar cabinets, and maybe the bottom snare and/or beater side of the kick, and sometimes as a snare top (as an extra track for 'just in case,' I like the Glyn John's approach but sometimes it's nice to have that extra snare top mic, especially if the drum kit sounds like a fart in a wet paper bag)....

But after talking to some folks, I have been told to check out an Audix i5, an AKG D40, and the Sennheiser 906. I have $300 left and need at least two mics that are to be 'dedicated' to guitar cabs, but also occasionally used for a snare or whatever.

My gut tells me to go with the 57's, but I'd thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts/opinions..... I'm recording mainly rock (think REM, The Band, early Sub-Pop stuff) or crusty hardcore (think Skit System, Hiatus, Drop Dead).

Maybe two 57's and an i5? The 906 and a 57? I will get at least one 57 just because I know what it does, but am curious as to the others. I have seen quote a bit of "the i5 has a more modern sound" which really has me confused....

Any other suggestions are welcome; I'm just curious as to whether I'm missing out on something new.... I've researched this for eight hours today and am still up in the air. I need to get them ordered soon so I can get them and be ready for a client next weekend....

Thanks!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:06 pm

The i5 is like a 57 EQ'ed more or less, but is otherwise pretty comparable.. I prefer the i5 but both are usable. I'm not really big on either on guitar cabs but they work fine for snare.. I like the E906 on a budget on guitar cabs, and I imagine it might be interesting on snare and toms. If you had a little more money a 421 is cool on guitar cabs too.. If I were you I'd stretch my budget and go used...57s for $50 all day long on CL...

I5, 57, and a 906?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm just stoked to see Skit System, Hiatus, and Drop Dead mentioned here!!

I own 3-4 sm57's but don't get used much. Nothing wrong with them, and I don't have any type of "dislike" for them, well cause they "did the job" for many years from toms, OH's (yeah!), snare, cabs. But since I've acquired a few 421's, ATM-25's, beyer 201, oktava mc/mk-012's, and cheaper ribbon mic's, the 57's don't get used as much. Not a dis on 57's, but what I'm using in place of them.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:12 pm

You're only going to find 57 love in a few isolated corners of the TOMB.

If I were going to buy mics for what you're describing based solely on what I've read here I'd get myself an i5(maybe?) and a 906 and maybe do the research again for what the bang for the buck, $100 ribbon mic is out there these days. Can you get a Cascade for that? Ribbons are all the rage. I probably wouldn't put that ribbon on snare, but I'd surely throw it in front of the occasional [every] guitar cab.

I have one 57 that I never, never use. I've thought of selling it, but it's been hit with a drumstick a couple too many times. I've always preferred my AKG D321's or EV n/D468's over it.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:27 pm

EV RE10 used

Ken96
studio intern

Post by Ken96 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Oh yeah, for years 57's were IT... I had maybe 15 of them, and a 52 for the kick for recording "live..." 57's for OH's and all.... I actually recorded a band that went on to sell a BUTTLOAD of copies of the 7-inch using ALL 57's, for everything heh heh, and it was on a Tascam 8-track cassette recorder.....

I forgot to mention that I do have a few ribbon's and an ancient LDC that I use for guitar cabs as well (I use them as a distance mic) and usually throw a 57 about one-inch off of the speaker grill, depending on the player... sometimes I put the ribbon/LDC behind the amp, depending on the room/cab/etc.... (you'd be surprised)

But great tips so far, I realize that only way to know for sure is by using a mic and hearing it for yourself, but I need to get ready for this client and am sort of under the gun.

I foolishly spent some cash on a few fake 57's a few weeks ago via a guy on CL... he didn't know himself, and returned my money, but in my experience I (totally now) refuse to buy used mics unless I know where they were used (i.e., from a studio or a sound-hippy (read: live sound person).

I'm looking for some workhorses, I have already spent a lot on other mics putting my locker room back together, I just need some ideas on 'budget' alts to the 57, and I'll be looking into the above suggestions. I know a lot of engineers sneer when you even mention "SM57" but for the money, they can go play with their $600 stuff and I'll keep happily recording blast beats with what I know.

I'm thinking an i5, a 57 and take the other $100 and take my gf out for a nice quiet stress-free dinner with drinks... but we'll see what another eight-hours of reading useless user reviews will dictate...

Thanks, all so far, I'll report back

Syngriner
studio intern

Post by Syngriner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm

I would suggest checking out the Hypercardioid Audio Technica ATM650. You can easily find then for under $100. I use it a lot on snare and have had good results on guitar amps as well. It has a better high end response and is less wooly than the SM57 but has less of a midrange scoop than the i5. It seems to go lower than either the 57 or the i5. I own and use (and like) the 57 and i5 as well. They all have their own place and time.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired ... ndex.html/
"Politics is the entertainment branch of industry" - Frank Zappa

"Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible" - Frank Zappa

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

No 57 love here.
For $300 I'd look for some used EV 635a, or RE15, 635, 664, (awesome on guitar amps and dirty rock bass amp), old AKG dynamics (d119, etc), used senheiser (411 is a big favorite of mine on snares), Beyer dynamics, etc, etc, etc, etc.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:38 pm

P.S. cheapo ribbons too.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm

SM57 VS..... THE WORLD!!!

Seriously.

It can be used not only to record sounds, but also for self-defense, as a hammer, or other blunt tool, etc.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:It can be used not only to record sounds, but also for self-defense, as a hammer, or other blunt tool, etc.
Are you thinking of the 58? My 57 didn't last a year before the grill came off. It's been duct taped together for over 20 years.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 pm

I think of the Sennheiser 609 as a smoother 57. I've started using one as my live vocal mic. The 906 of course would give you more options.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 pm

A 57 was used on Micheal Jackson's Thriller as a snare mic. I can think of a lot of metal albums (that sound great) that the 57 was used on the guitar cab. I don't think you would regret getting one.
I use it mostly on guitar cabs, right up on the grill. It sounds ok on snare, although I have found some other mics I like better. It can work on bass cab, but not my first option. I say get one, they've been used successfully on thousands of albums.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 am

don't forget about this!

http://www.mercenary.com/smmiwitatr.html

if i was getting 3 57's i would want a pair regular and one like this.

(and since i already have a pair i plan to one day get another like this)
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:It can be used not only to record sounds, but also for self-defense, as a hammer, or other blunt tool, etc.
Are you thinking of the 58? My 57 didn't last a year before the grill came off. It's been duct taped together for over 20 years.
Hi Snarl,

I've used the sm57 as a hammer...using the top of the body. I find the sm58' ball to get in the way for that use.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.