Limiter or technique to handle claps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Limiter or technique to handle claps?

Post by bannerj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:39 am

Live tracks of a choir. Claps are hammering. We are thinking it'd be best to go for a look ahead. Any idea of something to tame the claps?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:33 am

limiter maybe... maybe a multiband with the HF only?

or maybe a transient designer? that would probably work the best to just bring down the leading edge.

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:48 am

Maybe a narrow eq cut, coupled with a de-esser on the offending frequencies?

You could duplicate the track, edit out everything but the claps, then use a HP and LP filter to isolate the most prevalent frequency and cut almost everythink else out of the doubled track. Then see if the doubled clap will push the original clap out of phase enought to subdue it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:54 am

Onna PC, something like Blockfish plus a limiter might work quick and easy.

Otherwise, a kinda slow and dirty compressor, used heavily, and then limited ...

Or vice-versa.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Just have fewer people clap. If everyone claps it can be to much. if one out of three members clap, you get the feel and effect, with out hammering the pre.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:11 pm

JohnDavisNYC wrote:limiter maybe... maybe a multiband with the HF only?

or maybe a transient designer? that would probably work the best to just bring down the leading edge.

j
We've tried a couple limiters and haven't had good results. That is why I'm wondering if there is some sort of new gen 'look ahead' that takes advantage of the computer so that its faster?

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:13 pm

dsw wrote:Just have fewer people clap. If everyone claps it can be to much. if one out of three members clap, you get the feel and effect, with out hammering the pre.
Wish I could. But we've decided this live take is the keeper. So much else about the take is right.

Right now we are carefully riding the choir mics to avoid the most offending sections. Fortunately they don't clap as loud when they are singing. Its harshest during the intro.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:25 pm

+1 on the transient designer
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

cenafria
audio school graduate

Post by cenafria » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:49 am

Can you turn up the room mics in the sections where the clapping in harshest? Maybe some discreet reverberation will help...

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by exalted wombat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:19 am

I expect you'll find a way to bodge this track into acceptability! But next time, don't forget to monitor while recording. This should have been sorted out after the first take, by modifing either your mic positions or the performance.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 am

clap tracks suck don't they?

while it won't help you on this track, what i was turned on to recently is instead of clapping and doing multiple takes of dudes standing there trying to clap in time with their last pass of claps..... have them slap their thighs with both hands, automatically gives you twice the clapage per pass and does away with the intense transient of hand on hand action.

when i saw this done i about shot myself. i did a singer songwriter trying to have an album of arty full band nonsense about a year prior and they wanted to do 15 stereo passes of all 5 guys clapping in time.........if i had known about this other technique i would have just had the drummer and bassist slap their legs for like 4 passes and been done with it.......
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 pm

have them slap their thighs with both hands, automatically gives you twice the clapage per pass and does away with the intense transient of hand on hand action.
This is huge. Thank you.

steve_awesome_wells
audio school

hand claps

Post by steve_awesome_wells » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 am

Using the out of phase trick is a great idea...simply magic if you get it to work.
When the signals null, they simply disappear...I love it. Good suggestion ott0bot.
Older fart, started recording when the Beatles were still together. Rode the digital wave from day one (Fairlight CMI etc). Still playing and recording: Alt, rock, pagan, world, acoustic, electronic, live...

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 am

Depending on the track and its frequency makeup then izotope rx can work wonders with this sort of thing as well.

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 am

Why must choirs always clap, or break out silly percussion instruments? Everything will be going just fine, then suddenly it turns into gospel hour!

I used to do live choral recordings (no retakes) and this kind of thing would always sneak up on me.

Are they overbearing in all the mics? Close mics? Distant? Maybe boost the source with the least clapping.

Good luck!
Chris