Tube Mic RFI making me crazy!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Tube Mic RFI making me crazy!

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Ever since I got the Red Type A tube condenser body I have had a huge problem with what I believe is RFI.

Sent it in to David O. Brown at Audio Technical Services in LA and he couldn?t find anything wrong with it. I later came to find out that it only happened in certain locations at my place. Used it for two 8 hour sessions at a residential house I was recording in, and it was also fine there.

Tube good
Wiring Good
Power Supply Good
Cable Good
Happens with all three of my Capsules

If it is in fact Radio Freq. Interference, what can I do?

Will linear filtering the AC solve the problem or will it just lessen it?

Need some help here!!!

Thanks
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:27 pm

make sure the body of the mic is tight and that the edges make a good electrical connection - the metal body in many cases acts as a shield for the transformer (I know on my AA CM47 the transformer is not in its own metal shield). that may not be the problem, but something to check.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Tube Mic RFI making me crazy!

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:Ever since I got the Red Type A tube condenser body I have had a huge problem with what I believe is RFI.

Sent it in to David O. Brown at Audio Technical Services in LA and he couldn?t find anything wrong with it. I later came to find out that it only happened in certain locations at my place. Used it for two 8 hour sessions at a residential house I was recording in, and it was also fine there.

Tube good
Wiring Good
Power Supply Good
Cable Good
Happens with all three of my Capsules

If it is in fact Radio Freq. Interference, what can I do?
Will linear filtering the AC solve the problem or will it just lessen it?
Need some help here!!!

Thanks
Hi Ryan,

The item in red should give you an indication that it most likely is not the microphone.

In those particular places in your place, which electrical circuit was used to power the mic? Are there any other special devices sich as A/C or other large electrical appliance connected to that circuit?

As a hint, I once had to call in the electrical company, since there was a faulty transformer outside my studio, which allowed the neighbor's large electrical compressor and arc welder's noise to come through to my building. So it may not be something too obvious, nor even something in the room itself.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks Nick,

After I got it back from the repair shop, I figured my mic was ok as well. Like I said, I had one outlet (circut) that gives me zero problems, but instead of running an AC cable around my place, would a Furman Line Filter help this? Isnt that what they are designed for?

Thanks

MoreSpaceEcho

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Just a thought, make sure you don't have phantom power on. I know some tube mics will sizzle and snap when the power is on, and you may be confusing that with RFI.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 pm

rockstudio wrote:Just a thought, make sure you don't have phantom power on. I know some tube mics will sizzle and snap when the power is on, and you may be confusing that with RFI.
Funny you should mention that, I hadnt had the 48v engaged, but I did try to turn it on just for the heck of it, and it removed the hash sound for a short time 5 min maybe.

What's that all about? ;-)

MoreSpaceEcho

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:Thanks Nick,

After I got it back from the repair shop, I figured my mic was ok as well. Like I said, I had one outlet (circut) that gives me zero problems, but instead of running an AC cable around my place, would a Furman Line Filter help this? Isnt that what they are designed for?

Thanks
Hi Ryan,

It might. What frequencies is the noise?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Last edited by Producer/Engineer on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Producer/Engineer wrote:I really can't imagine why you would not plug anything into a Furman with EMI/RFI filtering. If your still getting "noise" after that, I would replace the tube in the mic. When tubes start to get microphonic, the "noise" can "come and go," which may lead you to believe that it's the "location."
It's like this: I had David O. Brown at Audio Technical Services, change out the Tube and he said both tubes were fine. What I didnt want to do was spend $500 dollars to 'slightly' fix a problem. Maybe masking the real issue, I would much prefer to track down the root cause. If I cant do that by tomorrow afternoon, I will be forced to spend the money and pick up a filtering device.

Thanks guys,

MoreSpaceEcho

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:34 am

Digi-Key and Mouser sell snap on ferrite rf clamps that snap over the mic cable for about a dollar each. Get some, snap them over the mic cables and that just might do the trick.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Jim Williams wrote:Digi-Key and Mouser sell snap on ferrite rf clamps that snap over the mic cable for about a dollar each. Get some, snap them over the mic cables and that just might do the trick.
thanks for thr suggestion. I'm having a similar issue with my Sputnik, and all the troubleshooting wasn't finding any real issues.

going to give them a try.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:40 am

I own a RED Type A and did have some noise in the beginning But it was due to the shield not getting a good connection in the cable. I've never had any rf problems with mic (being in the middle of Brooklyn) and it may help that my studio is star grounded.

Years ago when we had problems with amps virtually acting like boom boxes at a space in Kansas City, we would take a shielded copper wire and tape an end to a part of the chassis and the other to a water main that went deep into the ground. This is hardly practical but if Jim Williams recommendation doesn't fly I would look into improving your electrical source. And if the problem continues in very specific rooms then I'd try hanging metal plates on the offending wall. I've heard of some studios having to sheild themselves from RF this way.