Help - Upgrading from a G5 to Intel Quad core

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Help - Upgrading from a G5 to Intel Quad core

Post by Silverjet89 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:36 pm

So I just picked up a Mac Pro 3.0Ghz Quad core to replace my old G5 PPC. I know I'm going to have to upgrade from Pro Tools LE 7.4 to 8.0 or above.

My main question is regarding all my plugins. I have quite a few free downloads in addition to many purchased. Is there an easy way to transfer these to the new Mac Pro without actually re-loading all of them? Is it possible to install the hard drive from the old G5 into the Mac Pro and copy the plugins folder over? Any other suggestions?

I would greatly appreciate any advise if there are any other issues involved in upgrading to the Intel Mac Pro.

Thanks!
Kirk

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 pm

No the G5s only had IDE hard drives I thought? You'll want to install everything fresh on a new system to make sure everyone is talking to each other. It's worth it I just upgraded to a new Mac Pro as well...

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:49 am

My G5 had a SATA drive. I already transfered it to the Mac Pro as a 2nd HD. Everything is on that drive and accessible. I actually thought about upgrading the OS on that drive but it won't let me upgrade from the PPC OSX to Intel OSX.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way to transfer the plug-ins before I spent the day re-installing all of them

Thanks!

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Silverjet89 wrote:My G5 had a SATA drive. I already transfered it to the Mac Pro as a 2nd HD. Everything is on that drive and accessible. I actually thought about upgrading the OS on that drive but it won't let me upgrade from the PPC OSX to Intel OSX.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way to transfer the plug-ins before I spent the day re-installing all of them

Thanks!
You can try transferring the DPM files from /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins on the old drive to the same location on the new drive. Might not work for all of the plugins, but it's worth a shot. Worst case, just delete the DPM files for the plugins that aren't working and reinstall those.

BTW, this is assuming you're talking about RTAS plugins. AU and VST plugins live in a different location.

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 pm

also copy the contents of

/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-In Settings

that's where all of the presets live....