Computer monitor placement

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Computer monitor placement

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:00 pm

I have a computer monitor on for a Mac G4 desktop. Right now I have the computer screen placed behind the console in between my speaker monitors. This is great for mixing because it doesn't get in the way and looks aesthetically pleasing, but the computer screen is about 5 feet from my face. It is very hard to see the small Pro Tools icons and fonts, or if I use plug ins because the parameters are so small. Even with my glasses I'm leaning over the console to look at stuff.

Here is a picture of what it looks like now. Sorry if the image is really large. I'm not quite sure how to change that..:

Any suggestions?

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:53 pm

there are quite a few places that make computer monitor stands. You could get one that would allow you to pull the monitor in when you needed it closer.

that said, to me, anything is better than having the computer monitor to one side or the other. Having it on the side means one ear is eventually gonna take a beating.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi,

This is like your layout...

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Holy shit where did you get that huge screen?! How much was it.

Also, I look into the computer stands.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Holy shit where did you get that huge screen?! How much was it.

Also, I look into the computer stands.
Fry's about 1 year ago... 3200, including a 3D BluRay player and 4 sets of 3D glasses. Samsung 55"... it's the only way to fly.

As to a computer stand, I bought a vertical rack that fits my Intel Tower, so it goes inside a hidden 20 space rack, behind the right side of the furniture. I think the rack mount was about 100 bucks.

Cheers

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Dayum! I think the computer monitor stand might be a little more fiscally feasible. I found one that looks pretty nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-Desk-Mou ... ETX3R8HHNV

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Dayum! I think the computer monitor stand might be a little more fiscally feasible. I found one that looks pretty nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-Desk-Mou ... ETX3R8HHNV
That looks nice.
But... consider the problem that placing a monitor in the middle of your stereo field will present.
If I were you, I'd try to place it on the right side, on top of your rack, where the keyboard is in the picture. That will look good, and sound good too.

Cheers

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:40 pm

I still say screen in the middle beats screen on the side.
We spend a lot more time looking at that screen than we thought we would ten years ago. with an arm like the one above you can push the screen back to where it isn't a factor for the monitors.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm

roscoenyc wrote:I still say screen in the middle beats screen on the side.
We spend a lot more time looking at that screen than we thought we would ten years ago. with an arm like the one above you can push the screen back to where it isn't a factor for the monitors.
I agree, middle is the way to go. Back in the day of crazy big monitors I had them to the side and that sucked. Now I have two 17 flat screens on the console in about the same place as you. It would be nice to have them closer but its a compromise. I did increase the resolution as much as I could to keep the entire Cubase mixer on the right screen. I had seriously through about picking up a 40" tv cheap and throwing it up on the wall before I starting mixing mostly OTB. If I go back ITB I probably will.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:04 pm

hmm, I would be leery of anything named Ergotron LX, as it sounds like it might become self-aware sometime in the future and kill you.

Have you considered placing the monitor on a sliding tray underneath the mixer, right in the middle?

You'd have to look down a lot, but it would bring the screen a lot closer to your eyes, and it wouldn't be that much different than a laptop.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 pm

>>>> I would be leery of anything named Ergotron LX, as it sounds like it might become self-aware sometime in the future and kill you. <<<<

"Open the studio doors, Ergotron!"

"I'm sorry Brett. I'm afraid I can't do that."

GJ

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:12 am

I've got dual 22"s on my desk, and they're mounted on articulating arms so I can swing them back behind the audio monitors for critical listening.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Here's a link to some mounts similar to those I used in a hospital install. It allows the screen to be put flush on the wall, or articulate out up to 27". Swivels and pivots up and down as well. That way you could put it against the wall when you're listening and out when you're watching. Just a thought.

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Plasma- ... B000WXH1Z2
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks for all the suggestion guys! I hope Ergoton doesn't take over :shock: :oops:

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey Brett, you can find used flat screen tv's for cheap these days. I picked up a 47in for my new control room for 300 bucks and bought a ceiling mount. now everything is big enough and I can sit in the proper position while mixing instead of leaning forward all the time because I have old eyes