Drummers...Ludwig epic series

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Drummers...Ludwig epic series

Post by audiosweet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:30 am

Has anyone checked out these newer series of drums? For the price I keep hearing they are fantastic. They are 5 ply birch/maple/birch with different shell configurations. I'm looking at the "pro beat" setup which has the 14x24 kick. Just curious if anyone has had a chance to play these and had anything to say about them. No stores around me have then but I'm interested in a new kit to gig with.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 am

How far is Allentown from Erie, PA?

There used to be a store there called "Let There Be Drums." I don't know if it's still there, but if it is, I bet they have a set of those.

If not, and you wanted to make a drive to Buffalo, NY, you could call Paul Mussilli at the Buffalo Drum Outlet.

GJ

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 am

Allentown's a lot closer to Philly or NYC.

I haven't had a chance to play them, but they're intriguing. Have you tried using the dealer location page on their web site, it looks like there are a few dealers near you.

http://www.conn-selmer.com/dealerlocato ... detail.php
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 am

I'll have to try it out. I'd drive an hour to play a set for sure before just ordering them online. I use a mapex mars for gigging now but would like something alittle bigger to cut through 3 fullstacks of distortion on 11 with no pa!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:29 am

I bought a 6.5x14 snare (antique fade I think) and it records really well - even with the cheap starter head it came with. it has a really nice fat tone when tuned med-low.

the hardware is obviously "lighter" than higher-quality drums and to me a rim shot feels kind of soft, but then again I think its part of what give it the sound. so far nothing has broken, but it's never left my studio either.

I think I paid $125 for the drum new so it was a pretty good bang for the buck.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:44 am

Cool thanks for the response. I have a pretty slick 13x5 maple snare that has a great warm pop to it and is tuned medium - high so I'm interested what the snare would sound like with a like tuning. I do alot of single foot blast beats so I'm wondering if a 24 would be too big to push the air that quickly, but with the shallower 14 inch depth I would think theres enough response to keep those 16ths goin.
Last edited by audiosweet on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 pm

This doesn't answer anything about the Ludwig kit, which I'll have to check out, but just FYI, if you don't know if it, check out Dale's Drums (http://www.dalesdrumshop.com/) in Harrisburg PA. I'm in Philly and I don't mind the drive out there at all, so you're even closer! I was actually in Allentown last weekend, so hey from a somewhat neighbor.

But if you don't know Dale's (or for other folks who don't) it's a drum shop that's built in a house connected to a building, and is an amazing place. It's one of those holy grail places where the folks who work there are all drummers who are more interested in getting you what you're looking for, not emptying your wallet and pushing you out the door. I bought my first drum set there years and years ago, and bought my Pearl kit there too, trading back my first kit for money toward the Pearl kit. They have no qualms at all about getting out some kits you're looking at, setting everything up, and trying between kits. Try that at Guitar Center! They've also got a used cymbal section with good prices, and a snare wall. Literally, a wall of snares. It's one of those places you walk into the main section and your jaw drops. Really great guys that work there, and their prices aren't any higher than anywhere else, and they're often willing to come down a bit. I bought my kit and a new ride, crash, and hi hat, and they gave me a good deal between all of them. Great place.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 pm

NICE! I'll definetly have to check out Dale's place. There's a similar place near here in bethlehem called the California drum shop (funny video on Johns shop... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA0t3N0YtHk ) and it's a similar type place. Although now they mostly focus on lessons than sales...but yeh same treatment. John has gone above and beyond for me. I have a DW9000 pedal that broke and was out of warranty and he sent it back to DW and i got it back for nothin.

SO i might just take a trip out there and see what kits they have...maybe something similar is around? but here are those ludwigs...$825.00 for a 6 piece. http://pro-music-news.com/html/05/e90319lu.htm

I'm more interested in a bigger bass drum. I have two kits with both 18x22 and have played a 18x24 which I loved and wasn't much more effort to play but slighty...so i'm thinking with a 14 inch depth I could keep the speed up but still get a bigger sound that cuts more?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:the Buffalo Drum Outlet.
That's where I bought my drums!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:16 pm

If 24"x14" was good enough for Bonham...

Make sure your pedal squeaks a little.
Carl Keil

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 pm

>>>>That's where I bought my drums!<<<<

Coolio... So you must be in maine, not Oregon, yes?

GJ

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:>>>>That's where I bought my drums!<<<<

Coolio... So you must be in maine, not Oregon, yes?

GJ
Wrong. I fled further than that. Born and Raised in Bflo. though.
Carl Keil

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Am I the only person on TOMB who would NEVER buy a new drumset or guitar via mail order? I mean even if the brand/model is stellar you could get that one lemon and maybe not even know it since you can't compare apples to apples.

I doubt I'll ever buy a new instrument ever again though, so maybe it's a pointless statement. Is instrument manufacturing so consistent and automated now that every one is the same?
Carl Keil

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Am I the only person on TOMB who would NEVER buy a new drumset or guitar via mail order? I mean even if the brand/model is stellar you could get that one lemon and maybe not even know it since you can't compare apples to apples.
Nope. The store I recommended is a physical store. I bought a guitar online one time - a butterscotch blonde Squier Affinity Tele, and I completely lucked out. I had some extra cash, wanted a cheap guitar as an alternative to what I had. I figure with an electric guitar you can adjust the neck, rewire it entirely if needed, restring it, sand down fret edges, change out whatever, so even if it wasn't too great out of the box it wouldn't be bad to fix it up. While I was looking forward to the process, it came out of the box fully set up, haven't needed to do anything with it in the years I've had it except change the string. It's the guitar I play the most often these days.

With drums I don't think I'd order online. Partially because Dale's Drums is two hours away and has anything I'd order online or could get it, but also because I can't do things like recut bearing edges or reshape drums here. I find guitars to be fix-up-able like a car, whereas a drum set is more either great from the get-go or a dud. I also have an unfortunate knack for getting the one dud in a set of 100.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:11 pm

jared... whats goin on dude? i have a '70 24x14 Ludwig at the drum shop. i tune kinda bonham like so it wont be the best representation but you'll get the idea. feel free to drop by a check it out. with a good pedal i'm just as fast as on any other kick that i have. (a 20" and a 22").

i also just picked up a BLA modded 002 recently... not sure what route you went with that but if you want to check it out let me know.

tim
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic