any good EMT plate VST plugs besides UAD?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

any good EMT plate VST plugs besides UAD?

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:19 pm

has anybody found a good alternative to the UAD EMT plate? i don't wanna buy a card...
the new rules : there are no rules

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:50 pm

The PSP EasyVerb has a decent plate, but I usually end up using the spring preset. Might be worth a demo.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Do you have a convolution reverb? I use perfect space, pristine space's little brother, and with the right IR I like it better than the UAD 140.

There are so many good IRs out there, my primary verb is almost always from an IR.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:07 pm

i have SIR and the emt 250 impulses but haven't found any 140 impulses - you know where i can find some?

i'll check out EasyVerb too.

thanks
the new rules : there are no rules

jletria
audio school

Post by jletria » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 am

I can't see past Lexicon, especially for plates...
But it's not exactly a budget friendly alternative.

Great board btw, I think I'll stick around :)

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 am

RodC wrote:Do you have a convolution reverb? I use perfect space, pristine space's little brother, and with the right IR I like it better than the UAD 140.

There are so many good IRs out there, my primary verb is almost always from an IR.
that, and also once your convolution library grows, and you get used to it... well sometimes plate reverb is just not your first choice. i feel like i have been using more vintage digital IRs and logic's "forest" series a lot more.

i also like "poor plate" for background reverb (just a hair here and there type duties) http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html ... not for UP FRONT plate duties (like if you are going for a vintage nashville up front vocal heavily reverbed).

seancostello
audio school

Post by seancostello » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am

I have been searching for EMT140 impulses as well, to no avail.

I know that Nebula has an EMT140 impulse set, that supposedly sounds very nice. I tried to install the demo + 1 free impulse available for the set (with a 2 second decay), but couldn't get things working on my system. I'll try again.

My latest plugin, ValhallaRoom, has some plate presets. These have characteristics of the plate sounds I have heard - some have very defined highs, others are more mellow but with a higher echo density, and all of them are set to replicate the modal density of real plates (which is around 1.17/Hz). However, I haven't tried to model the physics of real plates, so the algorithms don't have the dispersion-related differences of onset for high and low frequencies. Personally, I haven't heard this sound in plates, but I haven't been able to hear enough plates for my own work (see above for my efforts to find EMT140 impulses), so there you go. You could give ValhallaRoom a try, and see if it is platey enough for you.

Sean Costello

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 am

eeldip wrote:i also like "poor plate" for background reverb (just a hair here and there type duties) http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html ... not for UP FRONT plate duties (like if you are going for a vintage nashville up front vocal heavily reverbed).
Poor Plate is AWESOME too.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:14 pm

seancostello wrote:I have been searching for EMT140 impulses as well, to no avail.

I know that Nebula has an EMT140 impulse set, that supposedly sounds very nice. I tried to install the demo + 1 free impulse available for the set (with a 2 second decay), but couldn't get things working on my system. I'll try again.

My latest plugin, ValhallaRoom, has some plate presets. These have characteristics of the plate sounds I have heard - some have very defined highs, others are more mellow but with a higher echo density, and all of them are set to replicate the modal density of real plates (which is around 1.17/Hz). However, I haven't tried to model the physics of real plates, so the algorithms don't have the dispersion-related differences of onset for high and low frequencies. Personally, I haven't heard this sound in plates, but I haven't been able to hear enough plates for my own work (see above for my efforts to find EMT140 impulses), so there you go. You could give ValhallaRoom a try, and see if it is platey enough for you.

Sean Costello
Hey Sean, cool to see you lurking around here. I'm impatiently waiting for the PC version of Valhallaroom. :wink:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:40 am

No 140 but mebbe the 250 is similar?

See here.

There's a 244 set, here.

Somebody seems to have made their own here. That thread has a link to the EMT 140;s owners manual, also.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

seancostello
audio school

Post by seancostello » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:27 pm

vvv wrote:No 140 but mebbe the 250 is similar?

See here.
EMT140: physical steel plate. EMT250: 1st digital reverb, designed by Barry Blesser. Dense, with tons of modulation that won't show up in the impulse.
There's a 244 set, here.
Another digital reverb, but a fairly rare one. Thanks for the pointers!
Somebody seems to have made their own here. That thread has a link to the EMT 140;s owners manual, also.
The EMT140 impulses are Altiverb only. There are EMT240 impulses listed at the bottom of that page, that are in .wav format. Jackpot! Listening to these impulses, I can totally hear the "whipcrack" sound that various physicist types have described. It is a chirp that rapidly descends downwards at the very beginning of the impulse.

Thanks for the links,

Sean Costello

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Yer welcome.

The manuals link above is bad; try here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:09 pm

i use audio damage eos sometimes instead of the uad emt 140.