My blog: "A Pirate's Tale"...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

My blog: "A Pirate's Tale"...

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 am

Certainly a NON-pirate's tale, when you get down to the pesky facts of the case.

But-- I do consider this a textbook example of people skills at their finest: how do you find a gentle, respectful way to point out that people, sometimes, are idiots?

http://joelpatterson-apiratestale.blogspot.com/
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:47 am

Have names been changed to protect the innocent, am I living in a Bond fantasy, or all the communiques from 4shared from Russian women?

Thanks for sharing, Joel. I share your pain, as entertaining as it may be.

Chris

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: My blog: "A Pirate's Tale"...

Post by Dakota » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:59 am

joelpatterson wrote:Like anyone else, I am wondering if my childhood fascination with Kafka has somehow brought on this reign of terror? That's not really possible... I don't think. I mean-- the guy was prophetic, that's all. I was responding to his insightfulness about the direction the modern world was taking. It's not that by absorbing his dark, mechanistic, nightmare vision of a future run by robots, I was dooming myself to inhabit that future?
Applause, Joel! Gold!

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 am

Unfortunately, I've often found that the only way to achieve what is a rightful outcome is through determination and persistence that most people would find unseemly. This has held true for everything from ordering a part from Fender to getting my local county clerk to get my Social Security number off her website. Sometimes the enemy is stupidity and laziness, other times, (like yours), it's good old bureaucracy.

Good job, Joel. If I may offer a word of advice, perhaps next time you could be slightly less specific in your labeling; especially if you're merely looking to test out a signal chain.

Although I think it's amusing how all the customer service representatives' names just happen to be women's. And they also just happen to be names one might give a sexy Russian spy in a Bond film. That's some People Skills there.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah, someone floated the theory that it's all a middle-aged guy in Jersey, cut/pasting from a selection of approved responses out of a script, making up names at will.

:roll:
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:42 pm

As a middle aged guy in Jersey, I resent that!

:twisted:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 am

Joel,

You might get farther next time there's an issue, by telling the folks on the other end that you really value their service. It's just good policy.

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:59 am

Thank you, Gentleman Jim and Gregg Juke, for sharing your concerns.

I value your input!

You don't think the irony got a little too heavy-handed, my counter-robotic praise and worship? I always worry about that, but I guess that's silly-- and then my other regret, the pirate hunters at IFPI backed down before I was able to use the phrase "lurching around like a blind, drunken cyclops" to describe their activities.

And then my further examination of that phrase, how a "blind cyclops" was essentially no different from someone with two eyes who was blind... really... in every practical sense... yet... certainly there are associations that "blind cyclops" imply that perhaps would fit the occasion to a goddam "t."

Then... wouldn't surprise me if Ivanka had a thing for cyclopses....
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 am

Wow! Well done, Joel!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 am

Not sure that would have worked, Joel; it's a good thing you held your pen.

A blind one-eyed Cyclops would only be blind in_mono_, while a blind giant, or a normal sized person with two eyes would be given at least the presumption of stereoscopic vision (and by extension, hearing; a leap in logic I know, but which might help them distinguish between pirated and non-pirated violin solos). While all of this might seem to prove your point, I think that the insult would be far too obvious and grave for your use in a friendly, fact-finding e-mail.

Just remember to thank them for their service; I think that's the most important thing.

GJ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:09 am

Four days!

Mazeltov!

I think you could possibly get a side-job as one of those newspaper problem-solvers ... 8)

You could call the column, "The Cyclops-Resolver". :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 am

Another rumor! The guy who plays "Ivanka" takes it very seriously, shows up for work in fishnet stockings and stiletto heels... :shock:
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 am

joelpatterson wrote:Another rumor! The guy who plays "Ivanka" takes it very seriously, shows up for work in fishnet stockings and stiletto heels... :shock:
I hope the kafka reference wasn't lost on him/her. wow, what an ordeal!