Solfeggio Frequencies

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kRza.
pushin' record

Solfeggio Frequencies

Post by kRza. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Hey Everyone,
Would love to hear ya'lls thoughts on this.

Solfeggio Frequencies is a tuning method that changes pitch (voice, song, instrument, etc..), to resonate within human resonate freq range. Notably 528 hz which is the resonate freq of human DNA & can restore damaged cells. It differs slightly from our normal 440 tuning. Nomal pitch is 440 = A....solfeggio is 444 = A.
Some believe that the 4 cent change in our accepted scale was designed by discovery to keep our bodies from fully benefiting from what music can do to us. I have read theory on how the Nazi party were instrumental in solidifying 440 tuning as the acceptable standard in modern music coming out of Europe and ultimately influencing British invasion bands, and thus the 440 on yr boss stage tuner.

I actually did some heavy research on Solfeggio Frequencies while we were recording our last record, and tuned some of the songs to various pitches in mixing,....here's a very patchouli based explanation of what they are:

http://www.redicecreations.com/specialr ... eggio.html

I should just go ahead and say right here that I am not a fucking hippie.

There have even been some world class producers, engineers & bands that only tune and mix within the solfeggio frequencies (white stripes some, animal collective always).
So today I discovered online that Grooveshark (an iTunes competitor?) has started tuning EVERY song to solfeggio frequencies. Yesterday I checked and the decemberists new one is tuned to solfeggio in grooveshark and not on the cd.
If the pitch difference is undetectable to the human ear, and meant to establish an emotional connection to the music - why would Grooveshark be doing this? Boost sales? Trying to make an emotional connection with the consumer to the retailer brand?

These are ancient tones that monks, buddhists, hindu's, muslims and christians throughout the ages have used to meditate in attempts to achieve enlightenment & altering a song by a few cents by an artist to attempt a higher connection is one thing if not a cute attempt to get further inside the listener - but why would a retailer be altering every song to 444 tuning?

Been thinking about this a lot today for some reason & curious if you guys have ever heard of this?
Okay...have a good weekend ya'll.

p.s.
I'm not crazy.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:11 pm

That is pretty freakin' interesting. But I'm gullible as hell.

kRza.
pushin' record

Post by kRza. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm a card carrying skeptic, but I believe everything has a resonate freq and that every living object is comprised of sound vibrations. Our own living cells (skin cells, blood cells, etc.. communicate via freq i.e. sound vibrations).
It is/was the big bang, God, the whole kit n' kaboodle IS sound. I believe what we perceive with our ears to be 'sound' can in fact build and ruin all the exists. Again, a very patchouli example made here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmGjD9j9bU

Not an Icke fan, but around 2:10 this gets pretty mind blowing.

Did i mention that I'm not a fucking hippie?

So then, by the rational - if everything has resonant frequencies that can heal or destroy - it would make sense that there are therapeutic remedies as well as destructive qualities that music can bring us, yes?

Infrasound is another hot-topic, especially with the popularity of "127 Hours" and "Paranormal Activity", infrasound has been used in these movie soundtracks to induce nausea and "unidentifiable panic" in viewers. These are freq's that fall well below 20hz, and far above 20,000hz...completely inaudible to our ears, but proven to effect our bodies.
(I believe the infrasound frequencies to be where all we cannot see / hear / or perceive exists - like the germ we never saw til the microscope - but that's another thread ;-)

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Re: Solfeggio Frequencies

Post by jhharvest » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:33 pm

A helpful Wikipedia article. Also covers "pitch inflation".

There's nothing stopping you from tuning your instruments any way you want, as many orchestras do in reality. Blaming the Nazis is just silly. :roll:

You might be interested in checking out some microtonal modern composed music (try Iannis Xenakis) or traditional music (gamelan? gagaku? It's all good, really). I'd really want to rant about commercial music here but I'll refrain as I realise the loss of different temperaments is a longer ongoing process than the recent century. Basically, I blame the pianists! Or maybe organists. Or perhaps lutists. I'm not sure which ones I blame exactly but some of them I blame for sure.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Solfeggio Frequencies

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:59 pm

jhharvest wrote:A helpful Wikipedia article. Also covers "pitch inflation".

There's nothing stopping you from tuning your instruments any way you want, as many orchestras do in reality. Blaming the Nazis is just silly. :roll:

You might be interested in checking out some microtonal modern composed music (try Iannis Xenakis) or traditional music (gamelan? gagaku? It's all good, really). I'd really want to rant about commercial music here but I'll refrain as I realise the loss of different temperaments is a longer ongoing process than the recent century. Basically, I blame the pianists! Or maybe organists. Or perhaps lutists. I'm not sure which ones I blame exactly but some of them I blame for sure.
You should probably blame piano and organ TUNERS. They are the ones who probably didn't what to tune 5 pianos for one recital.

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:48 pm

From that Wikipedia Western Tuning article:
During historical periods when instrumental music rose in prominence (relative to the voice), there was a continuous tendency for pitch levels to rise. This "pitch inflation" seemed largely a product of instrumentalists' competing with each other, each attempting to produce a brighter, more "brilliant", sound than that of their rivals.
It's the loudness war of the 17th century. Amazing!
"Strawberry Fields was a fucking mess, we didn't know what to do with it. Then one day, it just all came together." -Geoff Emerick

http://www.anthonymcaruso.com

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:25 am

kRza. wrote:Hey Everyone,
Would love to hear ya'lls thoughts on this.

Solfeggio Frequencies is a tuning method that changes pitch (voice, song, instrument, etc..), to resonate within human resonate freq range...

Nomal pitch is 440 = A....solfeggio is 444 = A.

Some believe that the 4 cent change in our accepted scale was designed by discovery to keep our bodies from fully benefiting from what music can do to us.
kRza. wrote:Infrasound has been used in these movie soundtracks to induce nausea and "unidentifiable panic" in viewers. These are freq's that fall well below 20hz, and far above 20,000hz...completely inaudible to our ears, but proven to effect our bodies.
OK, since you asked, here are my thoughts:

I've got nothing against spiritual beliefs, but muddling spirituality with pseudo-science really pisses me off. That is to say, having a belief based in faith (based on things you cannot see or prove) is your choice, but don't dress it up in a bunch of bungled science to try to legitimize it.

I don't know exactly what the "human resonate freq range" is, but I know that my eardrums seem to vibrate just fine at 440 Hz.

A change of A = 440 to A = 444 is not a "4 cent change", that's a 4 Hz change. For those notes, that happens to be a 15 cent change.

Infrasound frequencies are those lower than 20 Hz. Ultrasound frequencies are those greater than 20K Hz.
kRza. wrote:Some believe that the 4 cent change in our accepted scale was designed by discovery to keep our bodies from fully benefiting from what music can do to us.
And some believe that tin foil hats shield against mind reading. Doesn't necessarily legitimize the concept.

Leigh

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:25 am

Strong words there Leigh, but I have to agree, phrased more politely :D

This goes in to the same category as crystal healing and astrology for me.

However, my old lecturer is a neuroscientist and we both feel frequencies CAN affect the brain and its chemistry. To what extent, I am not entirely sure, no one appears to be.

With all of these things there is VERY weak scientific backing and basis for it. I can't say I am sold on this, but I am open minded enough to know that music does affect us on a biological and chemical level.

What causes the shiver down our neck, spine and back? This is a biochemical reaction to something we are hearing/experiencing, whether its to do with specific frequencies, harmonic spacing, intervals, apparent volume changes, or triggering memories we are not totally sure. I do however find this sort of thing fascinating, and will continue to research it further, scientifically and actively.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:00 am

I've heard about this.

I know that musical temperament has changed several times since the days of Pythagoras (2500 BCE)! The most notable was in the Baroque era, when well-temperament was discovered and thoroughly experimented by JS Bach in the middle of Seventeenth century. A well-tempered organ meant that an organist could play in all keys, whereas before only a few keys would be acceptable, the rest would be horridly out of tune. In the Nineteenth century equal-temperament became the norm, where some notes were made fractionally out of tune in order to give a more distributed tuning amongst all keys.

According to Wikipedia (inner-college professor shakes head in disappointment) 440 became the standard in 1926, pre-Nazi. That being said, I don't necessarily disagree with you krza. I've read a few things that've proved the most unbelievable conspiracies, and since then I've learned not to exclusively trust the standard, homogenized, true-believer mantra unconsciously screamed by the world's most unimaginative and brainwashed people.

If I were really concerned about this, I'd read some historic, musical documents from the 1600s, that would put this to rest.

E Pluribus Unum
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 am

fucking hippies

(sorry, couldn't help it. actually, this is an interesting subject - I'm in leigh's camp on this, but it is still interesting, hadn't heard about this before)
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:37 am

Wlouch wrote:Strong words there Leigh, but I have to agree, phrased more politely :D

This goes in to the same category as crystal healing and astrology for me.

However, my old lecturer is a neuroscientist and we both feel frequencies CAN affect the brain and its chemistry. To what extent, I am not entirely sure, no one appears to be.

With all of these things there is VERY weak scientific backing and basis for it. I can't say I am sold on this, but I am open minded enough to know that music does affect us on a biological and chemical level.

What causes the shiver down our neck, spine and back? This is a biochemical reaction to something we are hearing/experiencing, whether its to do with specific frequencies, harmonic spacing, intervals, apparent volume changes, or triggering memories we are not totally sure. I do however find this sort of thing fascinating, and will continue to research it further, scientifically and actively.
Yeah, I was definitely making a strong response. But to clarify:

- I do not think science currently has all the answers (though I do believe in the scientific process)
- I definitely think there is a place for faith
- I do think there might be something to the theory that, ultimately, all life and matter is really just vibrating energy. And, if so, that the frequencies at which those vibrations occur are potentially significant.

As I explained, it's the muddying the waters with pseudo-science that I object to. People throwing around terms that they don't really understand, in order to make their beliefs sound more based in hard fact. My pointing out the factual errors in kRZA's post was meant to illustrate this phenonmenon.

So somebody (a Dr. Len Horowitz, apparently) concluded that 528 Hz is a magic frequency of "transformation and miracles", dresses it up with his own pseudo-science, and the hippie-industrial complex goes wild. Sounds completely arbitrary to me, but if someone can point me to some actual research on the subject, I'll be eager to read it.

Leigh

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 pm

*boosts 528hz on every master from now on*

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 pm

*tries to EQ out howling bullshit meter*

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 am

This is pretty silly stuff, and Leigh did a good job of debunking it, so I'll leave it at that. But man, you guys don't know shit about hippies. Do you guys know any hippies? I mean real hippies-- who were in their teens or 20s in the late 60s/early 70s. The media stereotype of hippies (South Park, Cheech and Chong, etc.) seems to have sunk into people's consciousness, and they've forgotten that hippies were deeply involved in the anti-war, civil rights and women's movements, all of which require organizational skills and strategic thinking, something the befuddled, burnt-out stereotypes never could have come close to. And they were largely successful, and transformed our society in many ways, mostly for the better. Think of all the great music, art and poetry created by hippies (and their precursors, the beatniks). Do you really want to go back to what life was like in the 50s? Yes, today there are new-agers and neo-hippies, who may have more in common with the hippies Cartman hates on South Park than real hippies, but those people have only a superficial connection to actual hippies. The Beatles were hippies, for chrissakes. If you meet Paul or Ringo, be sure to call him a "fucking hippy". I'm sure he'll appreciate that.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 am

...Sounds like Hippie-talk to me.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.