Solfeggio Frequencies

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Dakota wrote:The Theta brainwave entrainment thing is solid and useful though. Things that pulse in the 4-8hz range, when well handled, can help induce trance states. If you are going for that. It's solid science and can be used for healing sound.
Solid science? I don't think so. I've yet to see any credible explanation (let alone empirical evidence) that infrasound waves can affect brain waves. I suppose they could have an indirect effect-- the vibrations make your body feel like shit, and as a result you feel uneasy. That's about as far as I think that goes.

Just intonation has all kinds of mystical nonsense attached to it as well. With nothing to back it up. Whatever tuning system you hear up until a critical period (I think it's maybe around 8 years old or so... I don't remember) gets "hard-wired" into the brain, and only with a lot of effort does anything else not sound out-of-tune. So if you grew up with equal temperament, like most Westerners these days, just intonation will sound out-of-tune until you get used to it. Which is beside the point you made, but I think it's worth noting. I don't think there's any credible evidence that just intonation has healing properties, whatever that might mean. I'd be open to checking any out, if you've got links.