Cheap vintage-esque midi modules?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Cheap vintage-esque midi modules?

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:12 am

Hey! I'll be joining another band on guitar and keyboards,and I need a cheap midi module (only 1,please) that has the following (minimum):
1-electric piano (wurli/rhodes/hohner)
2-Cheesy organ (farfisa/vox/elka)
3-"real" organ (b-3 esque)
4-it would be great if it had synth/clav/noise
Think Zombies,Strangleers,Roxy Music,Dickies,

If it has onboard digital effects,they must be easily disabled.
It's gotta be simple to operate (I am a midiot)
It's gotta be readily available,and cheap.

What can you recommend?

*of course,if I could find something analog,local,and inexpensive,that's an ideal option,but there ain't much in the stores like that these days.

Thanks much!
Eric
I am the Walnut

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:41 pm

You could look for old E-Mu modules on ebay; many versions have some/a lot of the stuff you're talking about at various levels of success, imho.

Since you didn't define terms for "cheap," how about a full keyboard? I really love the Roland Juno G; it has all that you're talking about, and music stores will want to be dumping their stock, because Roland has discontinued it (they have a new version called the Gi or something).
It's a great studio/stage keyboard (at least for me, but I'm not a real keyboardist... I call myself a "keyboard owner"). Good sounds, lightweight, some nice analog-y features. The only thing you might not like (if you're a "real" keyboardist) are the non-weighted, non-waterfall, keyboard-y keys.

They were under 2K a few years ago, and they're likely to be had for much less now.

GJ

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:You could look for old E-Mu modules on ebay; many versions have some/a lot of the stuff you're talking about at various levels of success, imho.

Since you didn't define terms for "cheap," how about a full keyboard? I really love the Roland Juno G; it has all that you're talking about, and music stores will want to be dumping their stock, because Roland has discontinued it (they have a new version called the Gi or something).
It's a great studio/stage keyboard (at least for me, but I'm not a real keyboardist... I call myself a "keyboard owner"). Good sounds, lightweight, some nice analog-y features. The only thing you might not like (if you're a "real" keyboardist) are the non-weighted, non-waterfall, keyboard-y keys.

They were under 2K a few years ago, and they're likely to be had for much less now.

GJ
I don't know all that much about keyboards (I too consider myself a keyboard owner, I just play a bit), but the Juno Gi, which "replaces" the G, is $1000 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoGi, definitely under 2K!) and has semi-weighted keys. I don't know if the G had semi-weighted or unweighted at all, but I'd much rather have semi-weighted than unweighted. That "sound modify" section really appeals to me - knobs for EQ and reverb, cutoff, and resonance right there - looks really nice to be able to change things on the fly.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:30 pm

I have a Yamaha TG-33 module I may sell..

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm

There's plenty of reasons to buy a TG33 (I have one & love it), but it's probably not ideal for the job at hand.
Emu Vintage Keys & Classic Keys will give you most or maybe all of what you're looking for, the Yamaha CS6R is a bit more expensive but will also cover most everything you're looking for. Kurzweil Micro Piano, or better yet, Micro Ensemble.

And probably a dozen more out there would fit the bill.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 am

I had the same need several years ago (didn't want to drag my real Farfisa and Korg 700s to gigs).

I posted a similar quesiton, and i think it was rosconyc suggested the Yamaha S03. Same sound engine as the S08.

So, i bought one - under $300 used, with a carrying bag.

Its just a rompler, but it has an excellent rhodes sound, and good-enough farfisa, vox and B3 sounds too.

Very glad I bought it - very light, excellent sounding. 61 keys, just enough, not too much.

The only thing that sucks is the interface - bare minimum Yamaha (i.e., 1 (one) slider for data entry).

But hey, for basic sounds, it is perfect.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:There's plenty of reasons to buy a TG33 (I have one & love it), but it's probably not ideal for the job at hand.
Emu Vintage Keys & Classic Keys will give you most or maybe all of what you're looking for, the Yamaha CS6R is a bit more expensive but will also cover most everything you're looking for. Kurzweil Micro Piano, or better yet, Micro Ensemble.

And probably a dozen more out there would fit the bill.
Well, he did say he wanted a ' cheesy organ" sound.!... :lol:

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 am

Hey! Thanks to all of you! I checked out all the local retailers/Craigslisters
(Gotta try them out in person),and I gotta say My two options are gonna be:
1-Hold out til I can try the Yamaha S03
-or-
2-Hold out for something analog.
Every digi thing I've tried in town outcheeses the cheesiest analog stuff.
Or-as I commented to Clair Brothers re the Yamaha PM1D
"I liked this better when it was pop bottles and sand"
I am the Walnut

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 pm

I have a Kawai K1m I'll part with very cheaply. No effects at all, it worked fine last time I fired it up.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 am

>>>>I have a Kawai K1m<<<<

I have a Kawai K3 that weighs, ah, 1,000 pounds.

When it plays it's last note, I will use it to anchor somebody's boat.

GJ

Jed
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Jed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:43 pm

I use a Korg TR-Rack for basically the exact same purposes. They run about $250 on the 'bay.

It has onboard effects, and they are nice, but also fairly easy to turn off. Though you are going to want to keep the rotary speaker effect on the b3 once you hear it. :D

You can hear sound samples here:
http://www.synthmania.com/TR-Rack.htm

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 am

The old Kurzweil 1000 racks can be found cheap albiet no digital FX. Look into the 1000PX or 1000 Pro 1 variants.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 pm

You probably want an E-mu Vintage Keys, Vintage Pro, or Classic Keys, all of which are MIDI 1RU units that have all of what you're looking for. there's also a keyboard version if you want max simplicity.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 am

Em u vintage keys used to work well for my touring band

Wainwright
gettin' sounds

Post by Wainwright » Wed May 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Ensoniq ESQ1 digital oscs and analog filters, cheap can find for 100 - 300.
((( Sucking in Stereo )))