Upgrading to Cubase 6 on a non-internet computer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Upgrading to Cubase 6 on a non-internet computer?

Post by T-rex » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:27 pm

So I have a band coming on Saturday, I just received my Cubase 6 upgrade via UPS. Am I crazy to upgrade tonight? My last upgrade went really smoothly but it was to Cubase 4 several years ago. All I have to do is load the new authorization key on my normal internet computer, load the license on my key and then take the key to the studio computer right?

Is there anything I am missing for those of you that have upgraded to C6?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Sounds right. I just upgraded from 4 to 6. I opened up the box and followed the directions to load a new license onto my existing hardware key (you have to have an existing key to upgrade -- you don't get a new one).

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 pm

What OS are you running? Cubase 6 does not support Windows XP officially, although it will run on it. But you have to have SP3 and NetFramework 3.0 or greater for it to run.

Personally, I'd record the band first, make a back-up of the session, and then upgrade.

Cubase 6 is great, btw.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Clearly I am not as smart as you because I went ahead and upgraded! Works like a charm on xp, of course I will still track the band in C4 while I experiment with it. I knew xp wasn't supported but people had reported it works. I have to say though, I thought I only had SP 2. I never update that computer because it isn't on the net but I wil check that out.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:54 pm

would love to hear what new stuff you are liking about C6 - i have 4 and 5 and not sure what the improvements are in v6.
the new rules : there are no rules

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:21 pm

joninc wrote:would love to hear what new stuff you are liking about C6 - i have 4 and 5 and not sure what the improvements are in v6.
Where do I start? First off, this was in 5 but I think the plates in Reverence sound pretty freaking great. I seriously my not buy a used UAD-1 just to run the EMT140 like I had planned. I just barely previewed the rest of the sounds but I really thought it sounded great. Maybe not as great as the UAD but damn close to my memory.

The hitpoint (no that's not a dungeons and dragons reference) detection is finally good. I generally do everything live with very little editing, but there are times when you just have to and finally you can slice up an entire drum take and quantize it. I have to play with it more. Same with the hitpoints to midi feature. Its great, slice up a snare track with one click, adjust the threshold and click "To Midi" or something. It creates a midi track with all the snare hits with velocity taken into account (to my ears at least, I haven't looked at the manual). Send that track to any vst sampler and you can trigger any sample in no time. It's funny because I generally am anti sample, but I have a current band where the drums sound not so good, especially the snare, but that is how the drummer WANTS them to sound. Like he thinks the fucked up snare sound is the coolest thing ever, but it won't cut through their music at all, so the timing on this upgrade couldn't have been better. I opened one of their current sessions and within 5 minutes had a triggered snare and bass drum tucked under the normal tracks just enough to make them work while maintaining the fkdupedness he wants. It is sweet.

Its probably a bigger deal to me coming from 4 instead of 5. The automation is way better and the Variaudio is great because I have and love Melodyne, but it was never very stable the few times I really needed to use it.

This is just from barely messing with it for a few hours. I am very happy, it seems they finally addressed some of the things hardcore users have been asking for forever.