recording an ampeg b15

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 pm

teleharmonium wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:The e609 is probably the last mic I'd reach for in any instance where I wanted a lot of good low end, regardless of amp, or instrument.
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Sennheiser/e906

http://www.coutant.org/evre20/index.html

I like the RE20 as well, but it is 3 or 4 times the price of the 609, and there is not much difference in low end response.

609 is flat down to about 80 before rolling off, RE20 flat down to about 70. (the linked 906 chart also has the 609 on the same graphic.)

I think the low end of the 609 sounds good and present. It's certainly got much more bottom than a 57/58, and those have their fans on bass.
Where are you seeing those frequency response charts? The ones I'm seeing on those links (and doing the comparison of charts on Recording Hacks) are showing that the RE20 is flat to around 70 or 80hz like you said, but the 906 rolls off around 250hz. I don't have any experience with the 906, but I wouldn't say using these frequency charts to say there's not much difference in low end response!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 am

jgimbel wrote:
teleharmonium wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:The e609 is probably the last mic I'd reach for in any instance where I wanted a lot of good low end, regardless of amp, or instrument.

I like the RE20 as well, but it is 3 or 4 times the price of the 609, and there is not much difference in low end response.

609 is flat down to about 80 before rolling off, RE20 flat down to about 70. (the linked 906 chart also has the 609 on the same graphic.)

I think the low end of the 609 sounds good and present. It's certainly got much more bottom than a 57/58, and those have their fans on bass.
Where are you seeing those frequency response charts? The ones I'm seeing on those links (and doing the comparison of charts on Recording Hacks) are showing that the RE20 is flat to around 70 or 80hz like you said, but the 906 rolls off around 250hz. I don't have any experience with the 906, but I wouldn't say using these frequency charts to say there's not much difference in low end response!
I'm just using my ears. Don't really care what the charts say. In my past experiences using a 609, I found extremely weak and lacking in the lowend. I also said "good" lowend. The RE20 offers what I'd consider "good" lowend, provided the sources sounds right to begin with. The 609.... not so much.

In regards to the price difference.... sure 609s are inexpensive, but they're also not that good, and honestly, pretty flimsy in construction. It's always seemed more logical to me, to invest a bit more on a tool that will last and perform to a standard right off the bat, rather than buying cheap and then just upgrading later on anyway.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
jgimbel wrote:
teleharmonium wrote:

I'm just using my ears. Don't really care what the charts say. In my past experiences using a 609, I found extremely weak and lacking in the lowend. I also said "good" lowend. The RE20 offers what I'd consider "good" lowend, provided the sources sounds right to begin with. The 609.... not so much.

In regards to the price difference.... sure 609s are inexpensive, but they're also not that good, and honestly, pretty flimsy in construction. It's always seemed more logical to me, to invest a bit more on a tool that will last and perform to a standard right off the bat, rather than buying cheap and then just upgrading later on anyway.
Ryan, I'm agreeing with you..I didn't say that charts are the only thing to follow. I was saying, to teleharmonium, that if you're going to say there is "not much difference in low end response" between those two mics then I don't know that I'd cite those charts as proof, since they're showing the opposite of what he's saying. As I said, I've never used the 906, I just read the comment which was intending to show something to those of us who don't own the mic and therefore can't use our ears, and then looked at the proof he was offering and found it to say very much the opposite of his point.

The 609 is a mic that I keep finding myself wanting to try out since it's cheap, but every time I hear samples (one guitars anyway) I always end up feeling like it's kind of fizzy in the high end. The 906 looks obviously more usable since it's got the options to change the response, but I always wondered if the 906 had that same kind of fizziness. I actually find the Sennheiser 421 just a little fizzy on the high end too. I like it on guitar cab if it's going to be contrasting another mic like an SM7, but I don't run to it on its own. However I do LOVE the 421 on toms and kick.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 am

jgimbel wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
jgimbel wrote:
teleharmonium wrote:

Ryan, I'm agreeing with you...
Oh, yeah, I know man. I was also responding to Teleharmonium. Quoted you for emphasis. I should have indicated that. We're on the same page here.

Sorry if that came off weird.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

dylandotwall
studio intern

Post by dylandotwall » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:19 am

I'm surprised there's not more love for the MD421 on this thread. That blended with a DI almost always gets the bass where I want it to sit. Plus, it also sounds great on guitar amps, toms, some vox.

But, if I want a bit more of an open room sound with a bass amp I'll go for a LDC in fig. 8 or a ribbon a few feet back.

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:48 pm

jgimbel wrote: Where are you seeing those frequency response charts? The ones I'm seeing on those links (and doing the comparison of charts on Recording Hacks) are showing that the RE20 is flat to around 70 or 80hz like you said, but the 906 rolls off around 250hz. I don't have any experience with the 906, but I wouldn't say using these frequency charts to say there's not much difference in low end response!
The charts are linked.

The chart for the Sennheiser includes separate lines for the 609 and the 906 ; ignore the one for the 906 (which does roll off more lows) as that's not the mic we are talking about.

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:50 pm

jgimbel wrote:As I said, I've never used the 906, I just read the comment which was intending to show something to those of us who don't own the mic and therefore can't use our ears, and then looked at the proof he was offering and found it to say very much the opposite of his point.
Take another look, the red line is for the 609, it doesn't really drop off until 80 hz.

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:In regards to the price difference.... sure 609s are inexpensive, but they're also not that good, and honestly, pretty flimsy in construction. It's always seemed more logical to me, to invest a bit more on a tool that will last and perform to a standard right off the bat, rather than buying cheap and then just upgrading later on anyway.
The price difference has to be relative to performance, of course. I wouldn't recommend a mic just because it's cheap. I like the 609. (I have the older black one, not the silver, if that matters.) I've got many mics and I believe it holds up well in comparison to more expensive dynamics as well as to the ubiquitous SM57. (The MD409 beats the 609, but I have balked at paying $500+ for one of those when I can get a 441 for that money.)

I also believe in buying once and buying right. Then again, more expensive is not axiomatically better.

For something in the ballpark of a 57 but with more lows and a less nasal, more natural high end, without being much more expensive, I don't know of a better mic than the 609. I also like the ATM 29 HE but it rolls off more bottom.

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:58 am

well my new toy arrived yesterday.

in a word: amazing!

i've only tried it with an sm7 about 6" from the grill dead center. nice!

on a side note: where is this line out that has been mentioned? i have and external amp out and extension cab out... both of which cut the sound to the cab.

-mike
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 am

teleharmonium wrote:
jgimbel wrote: Where are you seeing those frequency response charts? The ones I'm seeing on those links (and doing the comparison of charts on Recording Hacks) are showing that the RE20 is flat to around 70 or 80hz like you said, but the 906 rolls off around 250hz. I don't have any experience with the 906, but I wouldn't say using these frequency charts to say there's not much difference in low end response!
The charts are linked.

The chart for the Sennheiser includes separate lines for the 609 and the 906 ; ignore the one for the 906 (which does roll off more lows) as that's not the mic we are talking about.
My apologies. I thought that your typing 609 was a mistake because you posted the link for the 906. I have to say I'm really surprised that the 609 seems to have a generally flatter response than the 906 since the samples I've heard have always made it seem like a pretty fizzy mic.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 am

jgimbel wrote: My apologies. I thought that your typing 609 was a mistake because you posted the link for the 906. I have to say I'm really surprised that the 609 seems to have a generally flatter response than the 906 since the samples I've heard have always made it seem like a pretty fizzy mic.
Something doesn't add up for me either. From my experience, the 609 sounds like the 906 with the boost on. I had 2 609s and replaced them with 2 906s as funds allowed. I usually use the flat position when micing guitar amps.

Even on Sennheiser's site, the manual(instructions for use) shows a flat response in the 4K region, but the product sheet shows what looks like almost an 8db bump at 4K.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:58 am

nordberg wrote:
on a side note: where is this line out that has been mentioned? i have and external amp out and extension cab out... both of which cut the sound to the cab.
Mine has a line out that doesn't disable the speaker....
It's a B-15-NC....

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 pm

buy a vintage fender jazz or precision to pair it with :)

i used to own a 1965 b15, was a nice little amp. i have a vintage sennheiser 421 that sounds killer with that amp (or my current 72 orange or120). i usually do a DI with the thru jack to amp with a mic and record 2 track and blend. i keep the DI tone for a nice clear tone, meanwhile the amp gets the color and dirt and grit. That way i am able to make it work for the song. If I do one track i just try and get the phattest mic'd tone i can, color and all.

enjoy that piece of history.

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:15 am

can't swing a j or p guy right now but i do have a '68 tele bass. will that do? :wink:

so far i've been loving my new dude with an sm7 and/or a 4047. so far i'm just blown away.
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:26 am

68 tele is killer man!! that's what billy cox used with hendrix :)

try swapping tubes (if they aren't all originals) as well, i was able to get a tighter low end with some newer tubes (JJ's i think).

what a great amp, i miss mine and that wooliness it had