Favorite fuzzbox

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Favorite fuzzbox

Post by nestle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 am

As most guitarist have I feel like I've chased my tail in a circle about this. Of course a cooking amp on 10 is great but not always doable.
Tried the boutique-y stuff but always come back to the tube screamer. For over the top I like the Frantone peach fuzz.
Most recently was trying to make the Fulltone GT 500 work but it was to fussy.
rat sounds thin to me.

I'd like to find something like the TS but with more dynamic and a bigger sound.
What's everyone else liking? What's your fave?

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:20 am

i wouldn't call the t.s. fuzz. it's more of an od/dist thing. if you want a heavier t.s. sound, the ibanez 9 series super metal is pretty cool. don't let the name scare you. maybe dialing back a big muff would work for you.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:17 am

Agreed w/RM, you seem to be talking drive distortion rather than fuzz. That being said, I have lots of good examples of both and the mainstay on my board is the Tech 21 XXL, very touch responsive and wide variety of sparkle dirt. If you were talking FUZZ, the Prescription Electronics Experience is one of the craziest, and the Univox Super-Fuzz or a good clone thereof is regarded as a well deserved archetypal fuzz.

But whatever, this *really* depends on what's going to couple well with your particular guitar and amp, and that magic synergy is totally case by case.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 pm

I've got one of these on the way to try out. It will be my first dedicated fuzz creation device. Here's a demo link.

Death By Audio Fuzz War

All I know is anything that Andy guy demos on that site makes you want to buy things..

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Yeah I know "fuzz box" is pretty broad. And yeah the TS is more of an OD pedal, But I like having definition and not that sandstorm effect. I did say I love the peach fuzz for going full on fuzz, that thing is magic.
Let's just say what are y'all using for crunch/fuzz/distortion/OD?

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:36 pm

If you like the Tube Screamer, I hear great things about the Keely TS9DX FLEXI-4X2
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=36

Never tried it myself, but it's on my list of things to buy if I ever have extra $$$
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:43 pm

http://skychord.com/truckloud.html

It's a wonderful pedal. I'm in love love love with fuzzzz and it took me a long time to find an overdrive that I would actually use alongside my favorite fuzz pedals. This was the last piece of the puzzle for a rig that cured my gear lust.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:01 pm

BrontoSoreAss wrote:http://skychord.com/truckloud.html

It's a wonderful pedal. I'm in love love love with fuzzzz and it took me a long time to find an overdrive that I would actually use alongside my favorite fuzz pedals. This was the last piece of the puzzle for a rig that cured my gear lust.

WOW, that looks very promising. It also looks as if it would play well with my peach fuzz... Thanks, I'm checking this out.

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 pm

It's so good :hearts:

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm a fuzz guy, although i've gotten rid of most of my collection ( i kinda miss my old bee-baa though). Currently my two most used fuzzes are an old green sovtek big muff and a dba fuzz war. my other favorite combo is a fuzz factory (they're all different, i tried i bunch before i found one i liked) into a guyatone tz2 ( a killer little superfuzz clone that handily replaced my original superfuzz). just my 2 cents...

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm sort of a distortion addict. Love the Maxon OD-9. It actually is better than my Ibanez TS-9, which is nice. For fuzz, I won't part with my silver NYC Big Muff. Reealy want a silicon Fuzz Face. Those things are sweet, and ya I dig the silicon fuzz I've tried out over the germanium. Keeley Fuzz Head is cool, but a tad overpriced. Maybe not if you actually use both modes of it. Really dig putting a fuzz face in front of a wah. More nasty than having the wah first in the chain. Relatively recently, I got a WMD Geiger Counter. Hands down the most ridiculous distortion pedal I've ever owned or used. I'd really like to get my hands on some Death by Audio stuff, but I've been spending too much on microphones lately :roll: The Interstellar Overdrive demos I've heard sound badass.
Last edited by Neal on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Distortion/fuzz taste is very subjective. Try stuff and experiment.

Oh, and the analogman sunface is an excellent pedal...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 am

I have an early edition of the Experience pedal that I'm very fond of. Other than that I still love my Soviet made Big Muff. I get online and start looking at some of these boutique pedals and I've decided that if I ever go down that road I'm going to end up homeless. I recently got a Rat and it works well with everything else too.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Mane1234 wrote: I get online and start looking at some of these boutique pedals and I've decided that if I ever go down that road I'm going to end up homeless.
Whirred. These guys whole line is like that. Great stuff from New Zealand.
Red Witch Fuzz God II

Don't watcht the video demos. Just don't.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm

I made some fuzz pedals not too long ago. Here's a clip: http://www.ubertar.com/fuzz.mp3

There's also some delay on there. I've got three left; if anyone wants one PM me.