Metallica In Studio - Info

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:25 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:but yeah, total game changers. not only were they faster and tighter than anybody else at the time, they had solid songwriting/arranging skills and their shit was catchier than any of their peers IMO. AND, they weren't singing about fucking chicks, or getting wasted, or goblins and wizards or any of that stupid shit. their hair wasn't all poofed up, they dressed like normal people. they seemed really HONEST. it was revolutionary at the time.
That's why people were so miffed when they did the whole Bob Rock thing. They stood for something extremely important, something that defined and validated the lives of a group of misfits and outcasts, and discarded it for mainstream acceptance. In a sense, they betrayed everyone who believed in them to that point. You can say "bullshit, they got the success they deserved, how dare you suggest they not make money or find mainstream appeal" but them's the breaks. A band isn't just a band. That's what makes rock music so special. It's not just music. It really is a defining element of peoples' lives.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:41 pm

yeah, agreed. to be fair, with hindsight i think they were mostly sincere in wanting the black album to be how it was. they took a lot of flack for the sound of justice, and as i mentioned before, i think they were honestly tired of playing the really complex stuff. it's not unreasonable to imagine wanting to play some simpler grooves after playing the justice songs every night for a couple years. and they were probably listening to other people's records and thinking 'shit, this sounds so much wider and fatter than our records, wtf?'

i'm sure they were well aware of the commercial implications of all this, but i really don't think that was the prime motivator. perhaps i am overly generous, i dunno, but i can see where at that point in their career they wanted to make a Big Slick Record.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 pm

That's a fair perspective. However, Load and Re-Load were just.... wow. Also, culturally, they sort of abandoned their hesher brethren when Bob Rock came onboard. Nobody disliked Kill Em All for being catchy, fun and accessible; in other words, they didn't have to make another AJFA. With Metallica, back in those days, it was as much about the "kill/destroy glam" mentality as the music. That was a courageous stance in the industry. They were the consummate denim-clad stoners in the high school parking lot. They were real folks. Next thing you know they started wearing fucking eyeliner and singing some sort of awful 90s alt-country-pop-metal shit that should never be heard by humans.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:54 pm

ott0bot wrote:I pretty mucy stopped listening to metal all together, almost in direct response to the Black album...and I wasn't really sure why at the time. I haven't sense bought a metal album, sans maybe a Secret Chiefs III record(if that even counts)...or a Vemon record(sorta).
1 Your a sell out. The Animals? Weak... :wink:
2. Secret Cheifs 3 (although amazing, and one of my favs) not metal (well they wrote a death metal song here and there, but over all not a metal band).
3. Venom = Metal for sure. "Evil, in a league with satan"!

This is on the back of a Venom record I have.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:13 pm

i believe that's on the back of 'black metal' right?

"grand master of hades and mayhem" hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:13 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i believe that's on the back of 'black metal' right?

"grand master of hades and mayhem" hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Yup "LAY DOWN YOUR SOUL TO THE GODS ROCK N' ROLL"!!

yea that picture is amazing haha

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:48 pm

nobody, really wrote:
If you made a few albums that were moderately successful and then you made one that just kept selling millions and millions and millions, wouldn't you be thinking to yourself "maybe we should do more of that"?
No, actually I'd be thinking to myself, "OMG! WTF? Why are all these fucking jocks buying my records now and blasting them in their "hung like a baby carrot" gigantic trucks all over town? Maybe I should go meditate in the Himalayas for 7 months." That's what I would think.

BTW, I have that Creeping Death picture disc too, BUT do you have the Metallica comic book, where james breaks his wrist skateboarding? epic.
Agreed.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

lionaudio wrote:For some reason, I actually LOVE the Black Album......but as someone who appreciates everything from Britney Spears to Burzum
Uhhhh.... One is a Disney made, corporate fuck doll tragedy and the other a near, if not total fascist.... I guess that works...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:37 pm

1. I actually meant Pink Floyd's Animals. Not The Animals. Even more of a sell out now. :shock:

2. Thats why I said not really on the Secret Chiefs III purchase. but yeah...occasional metal song, a metal band does not make.

3. ok guys....I know Venom is metal. I didn't mean to put (sorta) behind Venom...actually had Sleep's Jerusalem listed on there...then changed it to Venom cause I forgot about that purchase.

Sleep is metal right? So I guess that's two. Oh....I also bought a Norma Jean record for my wife. Three and climbing.

Also, sweet motorcycle and chest hair....but they probably need some more speakers.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 pm

getting back to metallica... I heard that the new remastered cds are all loud and limited to shit. Havent heard it myself and Im scared to. Does anyone know if those overpriced, remastered 45rpm vinyl rereleases of the old albums are that way too?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 am

ott0bot wrote:1. I actually meant Pink Floyd's Animals. Not The Animals. Even more of a sell out now. :shock:
ha! That is actually my favorite of theirs.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 am

Neal wrote:getting back to metallica... I heard that the new remastered cds are all loud and limited to shit. Havent heard it myself and Im scared to. Does anyone know if those overpriced, remastered 45rpm vinyl rereleases of the old albums are that way too?
i donut know that but i do know that the old cds are marvels of dynamics. really. seemingly no limiting at all...most of the time they're hanging out around -14dbfs. it's refreshing!

i made the mistake of listening to st anger yesterday. i type this with 'frantic' stuck in my head. it's unspeakably terrible. i think i'm going to cry. somebody help me. and by that i mean oh please god help me-eeeeeeeeee-AHH.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:11 pm

I tried to get through that album really hard and just couldn't do it. It's pretty amazing how terrible that thing is. A really badly failed experiment I suppose...

Some Kind Of Monster is a real life Spinal Tap.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Ok, all this talk about Metallica got me to netflix "A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica".

When James is cutting vocals, am I crazy or is that tape machine they keep cutting to 16 track half inch? I kept thinking it must be 1" but it looked too thin!
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I need to mention this again - not much of a Metallica fan here and I like Load and Re-Load - but the live DVD that comes as a bonus version of St. Anger is way freakin' cool.

Wait, this is a Metalica thread - way fuckin' cool.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.