Buggy issue in PT9 I'm stumped help!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Buggy issue in PT9 I'm stumped help!!

Post by nestle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm a seasoned ProTools user and also even teach it but this problem has me stumped.
In the edit window every other time I click on a track name to move a track or rename the track jumps and flips to another track location and my view jumps leaving me disoriented and ready to punch my computer. It's like if a track is on the bottom of the screen it'll jump maybe 6 tracks above it, it seems arbitrary.

And what is that blue box that surrounds the track name , what the hell does that do?
please I'm frustrated does some know what this problem is?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:07 pm

The blue boxes around the track names indicate that you have an external controller configured. It's how Pro Tools tells you which tracks are active for the controller.

Setup menu -> Peripherals -> MIDI Controllers tab

If you don't have any controllers, set the Type to None for all of them.

If you don't see anything in there, check the Ethernet Controllers tab as well. I've never used an Ethernet or EUCON controller, so I'm not sure how they work.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Jeez, I knew it was something arcane like that.
Much thanks.....

richard
audio school

Post by richard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:29 pm

i noticed a bug similar to this one in earlier versions of 9. maybe the same one if the peripherals fix above didn't help. the issue i was having came when using the keyboard focus in the edit window ( P and ;/: ) to move the cursor selector between tracks. it'd move the cursor to a random track in the session (instead of track-by-track). my sessions are large so this became frustrating similar to the OP - disorienting for sure. it would do the same thing when using the same function on a few peripherals (icons were the only thing i was working on at the time, but it was a few icon systems, separated by a few states and running different beta/retail versions that had the same problem).

i did some work at a digi beta site when they were testing 9 and it had been a problem since then. i noticed the same bug in some earlier version(s) of 9, but haven't run into it since the updates. not sure what version you are running, but running an update might be a decent thing to try if you're still having trouble and you haven't tried that already.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks 9.02 now alls good : )
Glad to know it wasn't just me, was driving me crazy.