Portable hard drives

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

scollins149
audio school

hard drives

Post by scollins149 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Forgot to mention that the OYEN has eSATA or USB 2.0 connections.
Steve

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri May 06, 2011 5:04 pm

i have a few different hdd's.

my western digital that looks like a black book was used recently for frisbee by my kids and it's still working!

also have a cheaper iomega (samsung drive in it), and it still is working good too.

i have a maxtor which is about to give up the ghost, which i expected. but hey, it was free.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat May 14, 2011 11:50 am

I always have different drives for backup and for working on.

On the road I take a Glyph PortaGig 50 (unreal how small it is) http://www.glyphtech.com/products/porta ... ry-top.jpg.

I back all recent sessions (last year or two) up to a GuardianMAXimus in case clients come crying to me. Set at RAID 1 it mirrors on 2 internal drives. Nice.

I use one of the Pacific Pro Audio drives as a temp drive when using my laptop to work on PT sessions on. http://www.pacificproaudio.com/drives.asp

When using a Mac Pro or such computer I always record to an internal drive and back up to at least 2 other drives every night.

I think of it ALWAYS as this: you do the work in a temporary space and the backups are the REAL sessions. Back up by days, saving along the way for safety (bad deletion/edits) if you prefer, and always have 2 or 3 copies.

I rarely have any problems....
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 am

The silicon armor drives have worked well for me the last couple of months. Have two of them.

Powered from usb bus, about the size and shape of a roll-on deodorant. Supposed to be military grade (more likely to work after you drop 'em--haven't tested this). I got a couple of the older yellow ones (A10), they're about $75 for 500 gb.

I also back up everything to another brand of external hd (an icydock), just to sleep easier.

[edited to add model number]
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

mu-tron-kid
audio school

Post by mu-tron-kid » Fri May 27, 2011 6:51 am

Go with GLYPH

They have used SEAGATE drives since Day 1 back in the mid 90's.

The portable drives have USB and FireWire and speeds / sizes to boot!
They even make a buss powered RAID so that you and your buddy don't have to deal with "I dropped your drive on my way over..."

Also, for lots of back and forth, they make SSD Drives in the same triple interface enclosure that are much less likely to fail from being carted around in bags from house to house.

In the end, they are comparable price wise to the other companies OWC, Lacie, etc. But unmatchable in phone and drive support should you have a problem or need the bridge firmware or hardware updated at any point in the future.
They are kings of data recovery especially if it is stuff that you need in the middle of a session!

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:40 am

fossiltooth wrote:
Bro Shark wrote:http://www.macsales.com/
Agreed. I've had a few of their OWC Mercury Elites forever. Solid stuff, good guys.
Doubly agree. Their portable drives rock. I think it was Chris Vrenna who, being interviewed on their site, said he had "about 500 of them, and none have failed yet."

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 am

+1 on the Glyph drives, and they also offer free data recovery! http://www.glyphtech.com/support/datarecovery.php

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:01 pm

We have a six month old Glyph GT 062 in our location rack. Last week one recordist said he had problems transferring a file over. Haven't had chance to do integrity test yet but I hope it isn't a a disk problem.

Still, that said if it wasn't a RAID disk that file would probably be gone.