avoiding a cavity search

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mdavenue
audio school graduate

avoiding a cavity search

Post by mdavenue » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 am

It seems to me this was covered once a while ago but I couldn't dig it up with a search so...

I'm about to fly (domestic/U.S.) to a recording gig with some basic gear (basically mics, an interface, and some cables/ connectors. Everything fits into your basic hardcase, smaller than a typical carry-on bag and weighing around 20 lbs. There's nothing fancy in there, but I don't want to let this out of my sight.

I've got it packed so I can pull the top layer of foam/equipment out. Still... Is taking a box full of electronic stuff through TSA just asking for trouble, or is this something the TSA may be fairly used to.

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am

I've brought gear one planes without incident, sometimes surprisingly. I used to have 9 volt stereo mic pre that looked like it was some kind of remote bomb trigger. I expected to have to show a room full of TSA how it recorded onto my mini disc player. It went through x-ray and they were like "Have a nice day."
Guitar foot pedals must look unusual through an x-ray, but again they weren't even curious.
Whatever you do, for the love of all that is holy, don't try to bring bottled water or more than 4 ounces of mouthwash. They will take you down, man.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

mdavenue
audio school graduate

Post by mdavenue » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks, that and xanax will ease my mind somewhat.

Has anyone out there ever had a bad run-in with Officer Friendly over carry-on gear?

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 am

when asked about some Avenson omnis (which look like rayguns) I just explained what they were in fairly technical detail, what kind of instruments I liked to record with them, etc, and went on my merry way. I think they're looking for strange behaviors as much as anything.

artercay
audio school graduate

Post by artercay » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

They seem to look for narrow box or tube-like things that show up opaque in the x-ray: ie, things that look like bombs (mics, wah pedals, steel guitar bars, slides, etc). I have also had to explain the ebow. And I've had to get pushy about carrying my guitar on time and again.

The worst, however, was when they wouldn't let me check my Fender Blues Jr., which was in a Pelican case... the reasoning being there's a ban on 'large magnets' (this is, in fact, in the FAA prohibited list, but alas there's no definition of a 'large magnet'). I had to have the friend who'd dropped me at the airport turn around and come get it. Otherwise, who knows what would've happened as no airport seems to have on-site storage anymore (this was in allegedly laid-back Austin, no less).
seeking the sound of heavy air

mdavenue
audio school graduate

Post by mdavenue » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am

Geez. You'd think the staff at the airport in Austin would be used to dealing with instruments.

artercay
audio school graduate

Post by artercay » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 am

The guy was such a prick that I can only assume I hit him on a bad day. I wouldn't fly Air Tran for years afterwards. Southwest, fwiw, has always been amazingly nice & accommodating, and very lenient with heavy baggage fees/ carry-ons.

I've found many security folks to be more interested in checking out my guitar or talking gear in general than in giving me grief... seem to be a lot of guitar hobbyists working airport security!
seeking the sound of heavy air

Lukey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lukey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48 pm

About four years ago, I took a large amount of gear to Poland and back with some US connection flights. It was a large group trip, with some scuzzy musician looking types and some very average-looking white suburbanites. Some of the normal-looking folks checked all their baggage to help us get the expensive pedals/mics/synths carried on.

Nobody hassled those of us who had beards and flannels, but one lady got run through the gauntlet for a voodoo labs power supply, a couple of stompboxes and an ebow. She also couldn't really explain what they were, which didn't help.

Just make sure you can simply explain to a non-geek person what the things do, and you should be fine... I think it was the bundle of cables by the box that freaked out the guard.

mdavenue
audio school graduate

Post by mdavenue » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling more optimistic.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am

I fly with microphones and electronics a fair bit (imagine that). Here's my tips for a smooth flight:

I have a pelican case that everything is packed in. If it all possible, take the stuff in a carry on. If you check it, it's likely to be looked through, and they will not repack it with the care that you took.

When you get to the security checkpoint with the bins, open the case, and put the mics/electronics in their own bin.

To me, this kinda shows that you are trying to make their job easy, that you have nothing to hide, and that you understand that they may want a good look at these items.

If you just send the case through, they may or may not get as good a look as they'd like, and might take you aside so that they can inspect closer/run some things through again.

After your through, repack your stuff in the case, you know it's packed the way it's intended, and your on your way.

Regards

Jon

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:57 pm

hey mda,

last weekend i had a gig in philly. the music was composed for solo electric piccolo bass and two looping pedals. needless to say, i had a ton of pedals and cables. i fly with a bag of gear and my bass once every two months and still get a little apprehensive about security, yet, i've never had a problem, ever.

the most i hassle i got was last weekend when they did a chemical wipe of the interior of my bass case. that was southwest. i usually go united.

hope that helps. i keep all of my gear easily accessible for them to check out.

d

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:49 pm

Just for fun-
Next time you're at the grocery store or the Home Depot at one of those self checkout things, press Espanol instead of English and go through the prompts in spanish. Half the store will think there's a gas leak in the building from the looks on their faces.

littlesongs
pushin' record

Post by littlesongs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:07 am

The experiences of Shadia Mansour and Yassin Alsalman reflect that same level of hysteria.
"Keep singing, keep writing, keep playing, keep recording. Stay humble, follow your heart, and it'll all lead to a good place."
-- F.M. Cornog

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:02 am

I'm flying internationally in a few weeks, planning to carry on my cymbals. Have any of you drummers had experience with that? I'm envisioning scenarios in which they claim they could be used as weapons...