Another Digital Distribution Option

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Another Digital Distribution Option

Post by dgrieser » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 am

I didn't really want to pay $40-$50 to get my album up on iTunes/Amazon/et.al. so I found http://www.recordunion.com Record Union takes $5.00 out of your first sales for their fee (that's $0.00 up front costs) and 15% of your sales. Most of my sales are happening through bandcamp, but I thought it'd be nice to have it available on the big digital distribution sites. I signed up last weekend, and my CD is already on Amazon and iTunes. I've never sold much through iTunes/Amazon with other CDs so I didn't want the up front costs.

Anyway, if you don't want to pay the high cost of TuneCore/etc, but want your album on iTunes, Record Union is worth looking into.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Cool. Definately worth checking out!

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:27 pm

So what do you think of their service? Been looking around, but everything looks about the same.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 am

Ugh why does everyone want a piece of the artist's pie though...30% for iTunes, an additional 15% for a service that puts your music on iTunes...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:10 am

kslight wrote:Ugh why does everyone want a piece of the artist's pie though...30% for iTunes, an additional 15% for a service that puts your music on iTunes...
Harsh realities of the market. If you were selling oranges or lawnmowers it'd be the same deal.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 am

kslight wrote:Ugh why does everyone want a piece of the artist's pie though...30% for iTunes, an additional 15% for a service that puts your music on iTunes...
Looks about the same everywhere. It is more or less the same type of deal (whether upfront or commission) you would see from a record label/distribution. I'm amazed by all the online distrubtion services.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 am

lapsteel wrote:
Looks about the same everywhere. It is more or less the same type of deal (whether upfront or commission) you would see from a record label/distribution. I'm amazed by all the online distrubtion services.
I am not disputing that but the difference is that my management team and record label actively do much more to earn their cut, not just put me up for download... If you sell so little that it doesn't pay the upfront cost of being put on iTunes it is probably safe to say that it's a better investment to stick with Bandcamp/etc for indie distro until you have a big enough fanbase. The 30% of iTunes never goes away but I'm saying that an extra 15% for this "service" is astronomical in my opinion.