cheap SDC vs. LDC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kevin206
gettin' sounds

cheap SDC vs. LDC

Post by kevin206 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm wanting to get back into recording and I have a question. I have a pair of SDC mics made by Carvin. I got them years ago to use as drum overheads and I've used them on acoustic instruments as well. I wanted and inexpensive LDC so a few years ago I bought a MXL 660 with a 3/4" diaphragm. I really haven't had much of a chance to use it. I was thinking about a pair of LDC for overheads. I've considered buying a 2nd 660 (that's no longer made I suppose) or a pair of of some other mic. I'm not really wanting to invest a bunch of money at this time, so cheap is good for me.

Would I be better off to just keep using the SDC, or would I see a big improvement with a LDC? I have enough dynamics and inputs to close mic if I have too.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 am

post below
Last edited by fuzz on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 am

I can't remember the last time I had a pair LDC as an overhead. Apparently the Sony C-37p are sorta a mid sized diaphragm and I used those lot but no LDCs. Occasionally I've used a tube condenser as a mono overhead. Also, I wouldn't stick any more $$$ on an MXL anything.

Carvin is a good company. They we're a primary endorser of Mr. Frank Zappa and ALOT of gear (console, dynamics, mics) made by carvin were' used on his records. That said he also had several U47s :lol:

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 am

you are getting hung up on the wrong things. SDCs and LDCs are not that inherently different the way that say, dynamics and condensers are, or even certain SDCs vs other SDCs.

if you are looking for different overheads, what are you currently not happy about with your carvins?

do you need mics to do utility duty? like are you also looking for vocal mics, acoustic instrument mics?

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:03 pm

I would like a (or a pair) of all around useful mics that are still inexpensive. The Carvin mics have actually been really good and I've been happy with them. I was just under the impression that a LDC would pick up a wider range than a SDC. A few years back I did some demos to a 8-track reel. With limited tracks, I miked the drum kit with the Carvin overheads and some dynamics in the kick(s). I can't remember if I even miked the snare. I liked the sound okay, but the drummer wanted a bigger sound. I thought a pair of LDC might do that.
I guess I should mention that the pair of Carvin and the MXL990 or whatever it is are the only condensers I have. I've got a box of assorted dynamics. A lot of handheld mics. My favorite is a pair of AT Pro25 mics. I'm even using one of those currently as a vocal mic for practice.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 am

Frequency response depends more on the individual mics and the polar pattern than on the capsule size. I use SDCs on bass guitar amps (with drop tuned 5 strings, even) all the time, and bass response has never been a problem. If you want a bigger sound, start with how the drums are tuned and where the mics are placed. Maybe put up a room mic or two, if you have enough tracks, or play around with reverb and compression.

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 pm

I guess I was wrong with my assumption that bigger diaphragm equals bigger sound. I had always heard that you needed SDC for overheads to get the high frequencies of the cymbals and I took it to mean that they weren't good for much else. But I have used my SDC carvins for vocals and acoustic guitar and have been very pleased. I guess I'll stick with what I have for a while and just use them to the best of my abilities.

As far as a bigger drum sound...I'm lucky in that my drummer has a nice kit. He had Pearl export series that sounded really good, but he caught a nice Yamaha shell pack on sale a while back. Nice maple shells that project really well and just sound so good. I couldn't believe that drums could sound so different. I thought it was all in the heads and tuning.

Using what I already have will free up some money to buy some Roxul of something.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:27 pm

I would stick with the Carvin SDC's for overhead use.
You keep mentioning that your looking for a "bigger sound" so my questions are:
#1. What are you using for the kick drum mic?
#2. What are you using for the compressor settings? (Kick)

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:20 pm

I switched from my AT Pro 37r's (sdc's) to my MXL 2001's (LDC's) for drum OH's and never looked back. Of course, I'm recording Glyn Johnsish (I think). So, I'm looking for a more complete picture of the kit through those mics than just cymbals. I got my 2001's for waaaaay less than $100 for the pair and the 37's were way more.

I also have found my 2001's to be my all around most useful mics. I've used them on vox, bass, drums, room, percussion, etc., etc. Your mileage WILL vary.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Well, things are changing constantly, But the last time I tried the two Carvin SDC to capture the whole kit, I was tracking to 1/4" 8-track tape. I did add a kick mic; a AT Pro 25. That drummer was using an old CB700 kit with probably old heads and he really wasn't the best tuner. I was going for a more raw sound, but he wanted a more polished sound. I think I did use some conservative compression, but my outboard gear is limited. I'm not really sure if I used much compression, if any on the overheads.

doug deeper
alignin' 24-trk

Post by doug deeper » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:34 pm

For a bigger drum sound, something like adding a room mic will do a lot more then changing mic type.