Work in London

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

J-Oliver
audio school

Work in London

Post by J-Oliver » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:41 am

Hi everybody!

I'm a long time Tape Op reader, both magazine and forums.

I moved to London two months ago and I'm looking for a job as assistant/ runner since. I moved here hoping to work with talented people and great studios.

Even having about four years long of experience as a in-house producer/ engineer in a recording studio it has been really hard to find work. I've tried virtually everything (go to the studios to leave a covering letter and a CV, emails, phone calls......) but it seems to be a dead end.

Of course I'm ready to do some unpaid/sh!ty work (even having to pay my bills) but it seems that nobody need any help at the studio.

I don't know a soul in London so, I don't know what else can I do... I'm kinda desperate at the moment.

Any advices?

Thank you.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Re: Work in London

Post by jhharvest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

J-Oliver wrote:I don't know a soul in London so, I don't know what else can I do... I'm kinda desperate at the moment.

Any advices?
Good luck, mate. It's rough going at the moment.

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:55 pm

I don't know about London in particular, but trying to meet people into film/tv/videogames can be a good way to get audio jobs and get some paid work, or at least meet people doing audio. Best of luck

J-Oliver
audio school

Post by J-Oliver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 am

AndyHutchinson wrote:I don't know about London in particular, but trying to meet people into film/tv/videogames can be a good way to get audio jobs and get some paid work, or at least meet people doing audio. Best of luck
There are actually lots of post production/tv/radio studios in London and I was hoping they could save my day but that not happened.

In fact, I got fewer replies from that kind of studios comparing with music recording studios.

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:02 am

Best option is to spend a few weeks physically going in to studios knowing the names and passed projects of people and showing off some knowledge subtley but face to face. People love it when you know information about them and their business. Call ahead of time and make sure they will be there, or just cold call by going in. Either way, face to face creates a much better chance.

Go to music/audio engineering conventions/meetings and network.

J-Oliver
audio school

Post by J-Oliver » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:15 am

Wlouch wrote:Best option is to spend a few weeks physically going in to studios knowing the names and passed projects of people and showing off some knowledge subtley but face to face. People love it when you know information about them and their business. Call ahead of time and make sure they will be there, or just cold call by going in. Either way, face to face creates a much better chance.

Go to music/audio engineering conventions/meetings and network.
Thank you for the advices.

I always go to the studios and try to talk with people face to face but most of the times the only person I can reach is the receptionist or the studio assistant.

I met some nice people in the way but unfortunately none of them offered me a job...

Going to music/audio engineering conventions/meetings means, most of the times, spend some money. Money which I don't have at the moment.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

University of West London are looking for a Mac audio support, fixed term.
http://www.tvu.ac.uk/the_university/Jobs.jsp

J-Oliver
audio school

Post by J-Oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:10 am

jhharvest wrote:University of West London are looking for a Mac audio support, fixed term.
http://www.tvu.ac.uk/the_university/Jobs.jsp
Thank you very much!

I will apply for it.