Good Pro Tools tutorials

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingtoad
pushin' record

Good Pro Tools tutorials

Post by kingtoad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:15 am

Hi all,

I've been using Logic for about 5 years now and am firmly set in my ways, but I have a few sessions coming up at studios that only run Pro Tools. I do have a copy of Pro Tools 8 and an M Box for compatibility with outside sessions so I would like to brush up on my Pro Tools chops a bit.

Could anyone recommend a good online (or pdf or video or whatever) tutorial that will cover the basics of recording and editing in Pro Tools? Creating/arming tracks, comping vocals, editing drums, etc. Not so bothered about mixing as I will be transferring over to Logic for that. I am willing to pay for the right thing but obviously free would be great. I'm not a Luddite so I don't need the absolute basics of daws explaining to me, just PT specific stuff.

Anyone?

Tom

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:43 am

Any of the Kenny Gioia tutorials are good. There are a number on this site:
http://www.groove3.com/str/pro-tools-ti ... ks-v1.html

I think there are also some free ones around if you search on his name.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 am

Thanks. I guess one thing that I would prefer is that the videos don't focus too much on engineering or "getting great sounds" or anything and instead concentrate on how to run PT efficiently.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:02 am

kingtoad wrote:Thanks. I guess one thing that I would prefer is that the videos don't focus too much on engineering or "getting great sounds" or anything and instead concentrate on how to run PT efficiently.
Yea, I forget which ones of his I bought(elastic time maybe) but they are very tactical on how to get things done and do it efficiently in PT. I haven't seen any of his that I didn't get a ton out of.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:09 pm

As vxboogie mentioned, go check out groove3.com. There are some good ones on there. Buy the "All-Access Pass" for $30/month, and you get unlimited views of all the tutorials on the site. Well worth it. Cancel the monthly subscription when you've seen everything you want to.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Good Pro Tools tutorials

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 pm

kingtoad wrote:Hi all,

I've been using Logic for about 5 years now and am firmly set in my ways, but I have a few sessions coming up at studios that only run Pro Tools. I do have a copy of Pro Tools 8 and an M Box for compatibility with outside sessions so I would like to brush up on my Pro Tools chops a bit.
If you're serious about succeeding, I'd download the .pdf from the Avid site for the manual of the version Pro Tools you're gonna be working with and have itand pay to have it printed out at Kinkos complete with binder. Then:

1. Read it cover-to-cover BEFORE you do the session

2. Take it with you to the studio you'll be working so you can reference it while you are working and between time

3. Make sure you have an assistant engineer that knows it inside and out to cover your ass should you fumble the ball.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:56 pm

I subscribe to http://www.lynda.com and it's saved my bacon a number of times in a pinch. It's way more efficient than the hours I used to spend looking around user forums.

Here's their selection of Pro Tools tutorials:

http://www.lynda.com/Avid-training-tutorials/109-0.html

You can check out the tutorials that are blue for free and see if you like their style/format. The gray ones, which are the same quality, require a subscription.

$25 a month for all-you-can-eat; almost 1300 different tutorials. Audio, video, web, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. I don't know why everyone doesn't use it, seriously.