Boss Tuner as Amp Splitter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Boss Tuner as Amp Splitter

Post by vivalastblues » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:19 pm

I saw someone do it between a guitar amp and bass amp and there didn't appear to be any issue (I'm sure closer inspection would reveal a loss of tone), but when I tried it I got a weird and quite loud hum. Anyone done this?/know why this would happen? Guessing some sort of power thing. Might try it in different outlets.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 am

I haven't ever tried this with my tuner, but I don't have a dedicated splitter, so when I want to mic and amp and also take a direct signal in case we want to reamp later I use my Boss Digital Reverb pedal's outputs, one to the amp and one direct. I guess that's not the same situation though since both outputs are meant to be used together. Hmm..I'm curious about this too.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Boss Tuner as Amp Splitter

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:45 am

vivalastblues wrote:I saw someone do it between a guitar amp and bass amp and there didn't appear to be any issue (I'm sure closer inspection would reveal a loss of tone), but when I tried it I got a weird and quite loud hum. Anyone done this?/know why this would happen? Guessing some sort of power thing. Might try it in different outlets.
Sounds like a ground loop between the two amps and the tuner. Make sure everything is powered off of same circuit and run the tuner on a battery.

Neil Weir
pushin' record

Post by Neil Weir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 am

When I've used two amps at once, I've always had to use a ground lift on one amp in order to get rid of that hum...
Neil Weir

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi,

What you are hearing is a Ground Loop.

The ground from the two amplifiers that is going through the wall cables, is being joined through the amplifier's input ground shield.
The correct way to do this, which also will result in a safer situation, would be to use a proper DI box.
There are many out there, and most have a dedicated isolated "thru" that removes the ground on one side, so there is no more ground loop ocurring.
When running amplifiers you do need to be especially careful, as they can easily kill a human being with all the voltage going through them. If your house or studio wiring were to develop a fault... well let's just say "fried guitarist" anyone?

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Neil Weir wrote:When I've used two amps at once, I've always had to use a ground lift on one amp in order to get rid of that hum...
Not a bad idea for a one off or in a pinch, but... it is always better to disconnect the ground at the instrument side, and leave both amplifiers' grounds connected properly.

Read me earlier post please...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

witchfeet
gettin' sounds

Post by witchfeet » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Get a Radial Bigshot ABY. They are very reasonably priced and have all the stuff you need to not get a ground loop hum.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 am

Nick Sevilla wrote: "fried guitarist" anyone?
I prefer mine saut?ed in a little lemon butter.