Better than SM58 for vocals but not too sensitive?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
ott0bot wrote:Keeping the mic out of the space directly between the ceiling and floor can keep standing waves minimalized as well.
How is this possible in an indoor environment?
easy. Discect the distance from floor to ceiling into 3rds. You want be closer to the top or the bottom of the center section so the reflections are offset by a few miliseconds and don't meet back at the mic at the same time. A cloud above the singer could help this. This has helped me anyway.

sorry for deviating from the original post.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:11 am

Here you go ;)

Beyer Soundstar

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:48 am

ott0bot wrote:sm7 is good, but you if you don't project your voice enough...they can really sound dull to me. Just my experience.
That's one of the few mics where I'd almost always engage it's switchy-things to brighten and tighten. Without the low-rolloff and presence boost it can sound a little pillowy. With them on, it's always surprising.
ott0bot wrote:I'd opt for an electrovoice re11, re15 or even a re20. With the lack of proximity effect you can put on a windscreen and get fairly close without getting too boomy.
Sure! RE20 is good for this too. I'd say you can get right up on that thing. I saw some great footage recently of Jello Biafra doing some live sessions in the room with the band on one of those. The vocals sounded as good as is possible for Jello Biafra to sound. (On an unrelated note, I'm a known RE15 freak on guitar cabs and will have to take your word on vocals.)
ott0bot wrote:That sennheiser 441 would be boss for this too!
Yeah, that'll work if you have one, but I might not buy it for that purpose. For half as much money, I find the SM7 sounds better on the majority of vocalists.

ChrisNW
gettin' sounds

Post by ChrisNW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:14 am

I've been an extremely satisfied sm7 owner for years but often wondered if any decent dynamic would compare favorably to an sm7 or other broadcast mics as long as the singer could maintain that critical 3-4" distance from diaphragm. Not making a claim, just a thought.
Audio Mastering in Portland, OR
www.vitamastering.com

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:57 pm

drumsound wrote:M88
+1

Although a bit more expensive than a 58
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Mark wrote:Here you go ;)

Beyer Soundstar
+1

One of the greatest dynamics ever made! Smooth, full, ribbon - ish.

Excellent on VOCALS !

Also very very good on guitar cabs, overheads, cymbals, banjo, mandolin, guitar, banjo, violin and other strings and brass instruments!

THIS IS TRULY A "FLYING UNDER THE RADAR MIC" !!!

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:27 am

http://www.mercenary.com/tatrmosmands.html

consider this, for less money still.

my brother has a 58 that we use for rock shows and rehearsal. he wanted something with a better sound but wanted to keep the "indestructibility" of the SM58. i put one of these TAB transformers in his 58 and the difference was big. even the non audio nerds in the room could hear the difference right away.

i've heard doing this to a 57, compares an sm7 with just a bit less low end.
i plan to record a little A/B test, that i'll post online.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:50 am

An M300 might not be a bad choice--I have one for sale right now, but that's not the main reason I mention it. A friend was looking to grab a mic from me, and he was comparing the M300 to an SM58. The M300 was clearer in the high end and had less mid-range emphasis (a good or a bad thing, depending on what you want). It sounded quite good (to me anyway) in a direct comparison. My friend chose the 58, because he liked the things about it that I disliked--go figure.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Re: Better than SM58 for vocals but not too sensitive?

Post by thunderboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Another caveat to keep in mind is that the sphere of sensitivity is around 20' for a condenser mic and around 5' for a dynamic. Therefore, your super or hypercardioid mic should be a dynamic.
Assuming gain settings for equal output, no difference in "depth of pickup" between condensor and dynamic.
You beat me to it. My bullshit detector was dimed.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm

ott0bot wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:
ott0bot wrote:Keeping the mic out of the space directly between the ceiling and floor can keep standing waves minimalized as well.
How is this possible in an indoor environment?
easy. Discect the distance from floor to ceiling into 3rds. You want be closer to the top or the bottom of the center section so the reflections are offset by a few miliseconds and don't meet back at the mic at the same time. A cloud above the singer could help this. This has helped me anyway.

sorry for deviating from the original post.
I was going to suggest clouds. And that hole in the roof takes care of the whole "space directly between" issue, too. :lol:
If you're not prepared to look stupid, nothing great is ever gonna happen.

Bondo
audio school

Post by Bondo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 pm

How about a Beta 87? It is Supercardioid, condenser. I have a good friend who uses one all the time live, and when I ran sound for his former band it didn't have a ton of bleed- very directional. Seems to be pretty tight and picks up well. I have used it in recordings, and I always thought it sounded great.

gabewax
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gabewax » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:46 pm

I would say even try a m260, instant 70's vocal sound.

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:27 pm

I know some places are weird about demoing/returning mics, but the best bet is to try and get a few different mics and try them in your room (sorry, typical lame answer but so true...)

I'd be aware of the advice to get a hyper or supercardioid mic...while they do have a tighter pattern in front of the capsule, they actually pick up from the rear, which is where your reflected voice is going to end up after it's fantastic voyage out of your mouth, off the wall in front of you, and back toward the mic. They are typically used on stage with dual-monitor setups as they reject best from the angles where the singer's 2 monitors would be. I'd try one before assuming it's tighter pattern in front is worth the lack of rejection from the rear.

Treating your room, while not always easy or as fun as buying new gear, really will help you more in the long run. You can start small, just treat one wall with some blankets to reduce high frequency reflections, face that wall when you track, see if it helps.

All that being said, if you're set on a dynamic, I do love the SM7B, and the Telefunken M80 is worth hearing.
"Strawberry Fields was a fucking mess, we didn't know what to do with it. Then one day, it just all came together." -Geoff Emerick

http://www.anthonymcaruso.com

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:59 pm

try an electro voice 635a -- the results will surprise you !
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

Fencible
audio school

Thanks. Trying V88. Will try others

Post by Fencible » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Hey, Thanks again for the mic suggestions. I'll try those I can afford when I can.

I have just (today) acquired an MXL V88 (a bargain at $135) and will see how it goes.

Re the kind room suggestions, I repeat that I'm actually pretty happy with how vocals sound in there. The only reason I don't want too sensitive a mic is that external sounds leak into the room from outside. The room does not need more sound-damping. It could use sound-proofing but that would be a major undertaking that I can't approach right now.

Thanks again,
Fencible.

[/url]